Easy, Guiltless Desserts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

It’s Thursday night and you’re in the midst of your 300 page English reading when your dessert craving begins to kick in.  Instead of reaching for that chocolate cake, here are some healthier, college-friendly options that will satisfy your sweet tooth but won’t leave you feeling guilty after.

Chocolate Chips

This is often a go-to dessert for me.  I find that a handful of chocolate chips can do wonders for a chocolate craving.  Mix them with dried cranberries, yogurt, or almonds to add some variety.

Rice Cakes with Peanut Butter

Rice cakes are low calorie and easy to keep in the dorm.  Spread some peanut butter on them and it makes for a delicious and protein rich treat.  Caramel rice cakes and chocolate rice cakes are also fun alternatives.

Jello

Jello is another sweet, low cal option.  There are many flavor options and it can be a refreshing snack on a hot day.

Cereal

Dessert is the perfect excuse to have those “bad” cereals, such as Coco Krispies, Cookie Crisp, or Reese’s Puffs.  While they’re not the healthiest breakfast, they’re actually a pretty healthy dessert.  Most cereals these days are fortified with whole grains and vitamins, even these ones!  So don’t be afraid to indulge and have a bowl of bad cereal, with or without milk.  My personal favorite is dry Golden Grahams mixed with chocolate chips.

Fruit

Sometimes, good ol’ fruit can hit the spot.  Apples, grapes, oranges, or any fruit is a great dessert.  Bananas with a little bit of Nutella are a personal favorite, as well as apples and peanut butter.  Eat as much as you want, it’s guilt free dessert! 

Asia Bradlee is a senior studying Public Health and English at Tulane University. She grew up in Boston, MA and has a passion for health and wellness writing. Asia has experience at Boston Magazine as the digital health intern and maintains her own wellness blog, Healthy, Hungry, Happy. 
JoEllen is a senior at Tulane University where she is majoring in Philosophy and Psychology. She is particularly active with the Tulane chapter of Relay for Life and spent last summer studying abroad in Bali, Indonesia, where she hopes to move some day. JoEllen loves writing, eating delicious Cajun and Creole food, and exploring the city of New Orleans.