DIY Dorm Decorations to get in the Winter Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Dorm rooms are inherently boring spaces—drab off white walls, carpets with questionable stains on them and a lack of closet space that challenges even the most organized among us. The good news is that with a little ingenuity and a lot of holiday spirit, your dorm can easily transform from a tiny bland room to a cozy space bound to get you in the holiday spirit.

I’m a firm believer that the holiday season starts promptly on November 1st (not the day after Thanksgiving as some scrooges will inform you) so I’ve compiled a list of the three easiest dorm or house decorations to give your room some instant holiday cheer!

Pumpkin Lanterns

Directions: courtesy of Elise Blaha 

Halloween may be over, but that doesn’t mean that pumpkins are a thing of the past. Your room will instantly feel like Fall (even if it’s 75 degrees outside) once you hang these crafts from your ceiling. These paper lanterns are super easy and don’t require any complicated craft supplies, something that makes them perfect for dorm room crafting.

Holiday Winter Window Cutouts

Directions: courtesy of Sharon Santoni and My French Country Home 

All you need for this craft is tissue paper, scissors and a lot of patience. Just trace (or free hand if you’re feeling particularly adventurous) a cute winter scene on to some white tissue paper, cut your scene out, and stick it those big dorm room windows to make your room instantly feel like a winter wonderland. I don’t claim to be the best at crafting—I’ve got the glue gun burns to prove it—but this craft is super simple and perfect to do on a cold (for New Orleans) fall evening in front of your favorite TV show.

Mason Jar Snow Globe Terrariums

Directions: courtesy of The Lemonista blog

For those of you who are a little more on the crafty side, check out these adorable DIY snow globes that are perfect as decorations or gifts. They can be personalized with anything you want and would look great lining those dorm room shelves. They require a little bit more time and preparation—meaning they’re a perfect method of procrastination. I’m not ashamed to admit that I love mason jars as decorations (I know, not particularly original) so I might have to dig out my crafting supplies from the back of my closet and attempt to make something on par with this beautiful winter scene.

Her Campus Tulane