Decorating For the Holidays on a College Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Finals are coming up yes, but more importantly it’s the HOLIDAY SEASON!!! I don’t celebrate Christmas, but it doesn’t matter; I still have Christmas candles, Christmas decorations, and best of all, I listen to all the Christmas music. It can seem stupid to “waste money” on decorating and being festive in your dorm or house, but this can be a really easy way to lift your spirits during finals. What could be a better study break then making your home prepared for winter holidays?

1. Take a trip to the dollar store

I decorated my whole living room in under $15 so I would say the trip is definitely worth it. I got big bows for my doors ($3) and $1 garnishes that i hung around the doors. Snowflakes serve as really easy decorations that you can just stick on your walls and I got a whole pack for $1!!

2. Get some yarn and ornaments

I got a pack of ornaments and made these tassel-like yarn wall hanging. This one did take me a little more time to do, but it’s a cheap decoration that I plan on keeping above my bed all year long!! Here’s the DIY I followed 

3. Find a clear jar (I got a few from dollar general for $1) and put some festive stuff in it

Having candy in it will not only make you happy and give you treats to reward yourself with studying, but you will also become more popular because everyone will want to come get some candy from your room. You can also throw some inexpensive ornaments (I have mardi gras beads in mine) or lights in them to make you look very put together and festive.

4. Candles, candles, candles

If it doesn’t smell like peppermint bark, gingerbread, or sugar cookies, is it really December?? (very sorry if you live in the dorms because this isn’t allowed)

I got this peppermint bark candle for $7 from TJ Maxx; warning- you will need to go out and buy peppermint bark every time you light the candle.

5. Find a mini christmas tree or make your own

My roomie (ily Annie) went to a real christmas tree farm and they were giving out free bases so you could pick off the branches from the big trees and make your own for free! If you want your own Charlie Brown christmas tree, this is an easy (and again free) way to get one.

6. Make an untraditional christmas tree

I have a lot of wood furniture in my room, so I decided to make this sign using ornaments and a wood board I got from Michael’s. I just used a hot glue gun I already had and it took less than 5 minutes to make. You can make this even simpler by glueing them onto a piece of cardboard that’s in the shape of a triangle.

7. Bring out the string lights

If you don’t have string lights in your dorm/house, idk what you’re doing with your life. I keep these up year round, but adding some colored ones during the holiday time can make your room feel more festive and give you an easy way to set the mood.  

Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Tulane Chapter Senior at Tulane University Majoring in Psychology, Minoring in Public Health Originally from Fort Myers, Florida
Her Campus Tulane