diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Dating in College: How to Make Yourself Available and Approachable

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Let’s face it, part of the reason why we were all so excited for college is that it comes along with a whole new dating pool. And even though casual hookups are dominant in college and romance is slowly dying, we all have hope that we will still be able to find ‘the one’. 

There’s a lot of opportunities for dating in college, even if it feels as though the only type of love you’re getting is the random gift packages your mom keeps sending in the mail. It can happen anywhere, in a class, at a local coffee shop, in the library, or even in your dorm’s own common room. The key is to put yourself out there and though I know that’s much easier said than done, I’m here to tell you how. 

•  Love comes when you least expect it, but it takes two to tango. 

While the old saying is true, you can’t entirely expect to find someone if you aren’t putting yourself out there. As I said, there are plenty of options, however, the key to dating is making yourself available and approachable. Try studying in more social places besides the library or even make yourself available through attending study groups or hanging out at your local cafe. 

• Eye contact and smiling. 

While yes, sometimes it can be hard to read men, it is even harder for them to read us. A guy is never entirely sure if a girl finds him attractive unless they demonstrate some sort of interest. While this can be as easy as just being straight forward, this is not always easy for everyone to do. So, start by making eye contact or maybe even smiling at them, if they are sitting next to you in class or standing next to you in line, don’t be afraid to make a simple comment that could start a convo. 

• Sparking up a conversation. 

• If you guys share a common ground such as being in the same class or studying in the same spots, don’t be afraid to say hi or even ask about their work or what they are doing. While being shy can be cute, it doesn’t make you available. Try talking to him and finding out if there’s more to him that you like besides his looks. Dating is trial and error, and while there are plenty of attractive men out there, you’re only really compatible with someone who shares the same interests as you. 

• Don’t be afraid to make a move. 

• The best way to find out if a guy is interested in by asking him to make plans sometime. It doesn’t have to be as straightforward as asking him on a date, you could find a common interest such as a restaurant, concert and ask if he’d like to join or even invite him to hang out with you and your friends. If he’s interested, he’ll come and if he’s not, well then at least now you know and won’t be wasting your time. 

Tulane '23, Majoring in Communications & Sociology