The Current Trend: What’s New for Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

I am not a fan of winter weather.  With my birthday in July and my choice of university in New Orleans, I can safely say that I am inclined towards the warmth.  If you are reading this from somewhere other than a location near the Gulf of Mexico, you are probably just as ready for spring as I am.

As an avid follower of the biannual fashion weeks, I am revisiting the clothing that was shown back in September 2013.  As fashion works in futuristic terms, these shows exhibited the wares appropriate for spring 2014—happily right around the corner!

With spring comes blooms and floral prints are therefore never surprising.  However, there is somewhat of a new trend that many designers sent down their runways.  From gothic petals at Marc Jacobs to crisp Hawaiian style at Michael Kors, there are more ways than ever to style your favorite flower.

Something more unexpected that has been brought back: the 90’s slip dress.  Seen on punk rock chicks and made famous by Kate Moss, these lingerie-inspired attires are now offered in a range of different options.  With floor-length, spaghetti-strap numbers from DKNY to short and sweet from Narciso Rodriguez, designers maintain there’s more than one way to wear this silk garb.

With very few classes this semester, my roommates and I have geared our free time to becoming more physically fit.  All the time spent at the gym has left me searching for attractive athletic wear.  The latest concept to grace the runways has been deemed “sport luxe.”  Victoria Beckham’s line exhibits tennis whites and Valentino’s line exhibits stylish sneakers, so clearly I must be on to something.

Sayonara winter!  I cannot wait for the light layers of spring.  What’s your favorite warm weather piece?  Leave your comments in the section below.

Her Campus Tulane