The Current: Rachel Bilson Debuts in a New TV Show with a Lot of “Hart”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

While “The O.C.” will always be my longtime favorite show, it has been cancelled for four years now. In that time, I have attempted over and over to fill the void and somehow replace it. While the producer of “The O.C.” has gone on to direct “Gossip Girl”, which I do very much enjoy, it is simply not the same without my favorite actors. So dedicated am I to the likes of Mischa Barton, Adam Brody, and Rachel Bilson, that I have pretty much viewed any project they have been seen in since.

With a new season of television comes “Hart of Dixie”, a show starring Rachel Bilson as a New York doctor who relocates to Alabama to work at a small practice. While the show is entertaining and Bilson is cute and funny as ever, it certainly isn’t up to par with the quick quips and ocean views that were once offered by “The O.C.”

Watching the show, however, I was reminded of myself. Not in the sense of looks or chosen career, just merely by the relocation. As a native New Yorker, it certainly was a culture shock coming down to Louisiana for college. Watching Bilson navigate southern courtesy and attempting to understand the dialect, never mind the popular
food options, didn’t stem too far from my own experiences.

Many of my friends are constantly searching for a new show to follow after they finish a beloved series. While this show may lack some of the serious depth and drama given by “The O.C.”, it is lightly humored and fun to watch. With recent reports of dropping television ratings, I suggest picking this up as a weekly viewing. I hope to support Bilson’s career so that she can go on to knock out a truly good film, at least anything with more profundity than “Jumper.”

Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.