The Current: Paul Rudd Reminds Us What’s Truly Important

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

The most attention-grabbing celebrity trends are usually those depicting bad behavior.  Such trends reflect negatively on pop culture and our society. 

Celebrities’ positive endeavors tend to receive far less recognition.  Often times, celebrities spend much of their massive paychecks on charitable causes.  The classiest celebrities know not to reveal just how much they donated.  However, it is this almost undemonstrative behavior that culminates in the general public forgetting about celebrities’ good deeds.  It is so beneficial and rewarding to have members of our society promote and support good causes.  More celebrities should vocalize this conduct.

Paul Rudd is such a celebrity to stand up for a cause he believes in.  Rudd has a clean record in the public eye and, unlike Charlie Sheen, Chris Brown, or even Britney Spears, he is known best for his acting ability and sense of humor.  For his 42nd birthday, the actor is asking his family and friends, in lieu of gifts, to donate to the American Cancer Society.  More specifically, he is asking everyone to donate an amount equivalent to his or her age.  

Since I am 18-years-old, I donated $18.  You can donate as well, by clicking here.

It is so easy to get caught up in the drama and egocentricity that is Hollywood.  While the industry is there to entertain, it is necessary to take everything with a grain of salt.  I am a huge advocate of pop culture and the trends that are generated from it.  Thus far, my favorite celebrity trend pertains to those who use their fame for a good cause.  Much like Rudd, we should all aspire to be Role Models; together, we can contribute to help those in need.

Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.