The Current: Not Such a Fairytale for Kim Kardashian

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

In my first article of the school year, I highlighted some of the summer’s celebrity relationships. The marriage between Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries was included. At the time, and in the following weeks, their nuptials were constantly covered in the tabloids and on television. The E! News Special “Kim’s Fairytale Wedding” was aired on October 2nd and has been continuously replayed on the channel ever since.

However, 72 days after their wedding, Kardashian filled for divorce. While rumors were published about the couples’ so-called “troubled” relationship, many were shocked to hear of the confirmed split. Others were not so surprised and thus a trend emerged on Twitter, highlighting events that lasted longer than the marriage.

Kardashian released an official statement today, claiming that, while she married for love, she saw some warning signs during her engagement, but did not act on them. Getting wrapped up in the hype and televising the whole experience contributed to her decision to go through with the wedding.

I have never truly been a fan of the multiple reality shows surrounding the Kardashian’s. It is obvious that their popularity is due to volunteered overexposure. It is at this point, hopefully, that the family can take a step back and realize the detriments such publicity is causing. Kardashian claims she did not want to end her marriage in fear of disappointing her fans. It seems to me that by prolonging the forced relationship, not only did she upset her fans, but caused far more damage for herself.

Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.