The Current: Leonardo Dicaprio Added to the List of Celebrities on Tulane’s Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

In recent years, New Orleans has grown increasingly popular as a place for Hollywood filmmakers to shoot their movies. The city certainly provides less expense and more character than the typical studio, making for much richer motion pictures. From “A Streetcar Named Desire” to “Benjamin Button,” the essence of New Orleans is captured in the many flicks made here over the years.

This past week, Leonardo DiCaprio was spotted riding his bike down Broadway, past The Boot, one of Tulane’s social hotspots. Dicaprio is in town filming, acting as the villain for Quentin Tarantino’s “Django Unchained.” It is to take place in the South, two years before the Civil War. Dicaprio’s character, Calvin Candie, is the owner of a plantation that forces slaves to battle one another for sport.

The “Titanic” star is not the only celebrity who has been seen around Tulane this past school year. In fact, Will Ferrell has been seen multiple times at the Reily Recreation Center. He also made an appearance on a float, dressed as a king during the Bacchus Mardi Gras parade. Mark Wahlberg, Catherine Zeta Jones, and Russell Crowe were seen filming “Broken City” on Zimple Quad and a few lucky students even got to catch a glimpse inside the stars’ trailers.

Just like these other famous actors, Dicaprio has appeared to be enjoying his time here. He has been seen biking on Magazine Street as well as enjoying snowballs from Hansen’s. Photographed puffing on electronic cigarettes, Dicaprio is clearly trying to kick the bad habit that he has struggled with for years. Here’s hoping the wild ways of New Orleans do not deter him off this path!

Thank you for another great year, Her Campus readers. My fingers are crossed that our streak of celebrities gracing the beautiful Tulane campus continues next semester!

Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.