The Current: Donald Glover Helps Maintain a Strong “Community”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Donald Glover is one of the many main characters on NBC’s hit show “Community”. The comedy, which thrives off social stereotypes, depicts a diverse group. All ages, races, genders, and intelligence levels exist within this study session at a fictional community college. The show is written well and provides entertainment to an equally widespread group of viewers. That is, until NBC gave the show a mid-season hiatus in the end of 2011.

This angered the series’ ever-growing fan base, which resulted in the creation of a campaign via Twitter and other social networking sites. Using hash tags such as #SaveCommunity, #SixSeasonsAndAMovie, and #OccupyNBC, infuriated devotees were able to get the word out about their beloved show. Fans of the series even participated in a flash mob outside NBC’s headquarters at 30 Rockefeller Center in December of last year.

Such backlash worked, as NBC responded by airing the remaining twenty-two episodes of the season. However, there has not been a confirmation of the show’s status for next season. With such a dithering future ahead, many of the show’s actors have started to pursue other aspects of their careers.

Glover, in particular, is talented in areas other than comedic acting. He graduated from New York University with a degree in dramatic writing and has written for shows such as “The Daily Show” and “30 Rock.” shows such as “The Daily Show” and “30 Rock.” Glover is also a musician, who raps under the stage name Childish Gambino. His most popular song, “Heartbeat,” can be heard here.

Glover is showcasing his comedic talents on his current tour, which made a recent stop in Brunswick, Maine. After performing stand up comedy as well as music for the crowd of Bowdoin College students, he proceeded to invite my friend Meghan and her classmates to party on his tour bus. Meghan’s sister, Anna, made an interesting observation about her experience with Glover. “He loves dancing!” She said. “He had a few dancers with him on the bus. He was doing moves I had never seen before—truly a pioneer.” It appears that the multitalented Glover will be fine in the future, whether “Community” is cancelled or not.

Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.