The Current: Andy Dick is Still “Picking Up the Pieces”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

It was my average Monday at 4:45 PM.  I was walking to my last class across campus.  Passing by McAlister Auditorium, a vaguely familiar looking man offered me a flyer, which I naturally refused.  As I passed, he asked me to come to his film screening that night in the Auditorium.  I blankly stared at him and kept walking.  Only about a minute later did I realize that I had just snubbed none other than Andy Dick.

Sitting in class, I promptly googled his name to make sure.  What his Twitter screamed in capital letters was that he was, in fact, on campus and showing his movie for free.  While continuing to browse the latest regarding the actor, I discovered just how troubled he is.  I knew the situation was questionable when he was personally taking the time to invite students to his free event.

Dick has become notorious for seemingly desperate attempts for attention from the media.  In fact, the only thing that is keeping the actor relevant is his heinous behavior.

Dick’s addiction to alcohol and dabbling in drugs is proclaimed by the actor to be the root cause for his plethora of public incidents.  He has been arrested and stands trial for many offences, including public drunkenness, public urination, and sexual abuse.  In August, the actor spewed anti-Semitic remarks regarding Howard Stern.

While in and out of rehab, Dick took to the reality show “Sober House” to finally clean up his act.  It seems he has made progress in the past couple months, traveling on his film tour. I am glad for his road to recovery, but resent much of what he has said and done in the past.  Knowing what I do now about the actor, I honestly still would not pause my day for him.

Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.