The Current: Alec Baldwin is “Addicted” to Words with Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Alec Baldwin has a bad reputation, which can be proven thanks to the “tape controversy.”  In 2007, Baldwin left a message for his 11-year-old daughter Ireland, calling her a “rude, thoughtless pig.”  The actor has been fighting with ex-wife Kim Basinger for custody of his daughter ever since their divorce in 2002 and, consequently, this outburst did not help his case.

Now, four years after his public ignominy, Baldwin has behaved foolishly once again.  This time, for refusing to turn off his cell phone while on a plane that was about to take off.  No, he wasn’t texting or surfing the Internet.  He was simply playing Words with Friends.  Apparently, he was enjoying his game so much that he went up to “use the bathroom” after being asked to turn off his phone.  When the flight attendants and captain figured out was going on, they kicked him off the plane.

Baldwin did not gracefully exit the flight.  In fact, he commented about the incident, stating, “Last flight with American, where retired Catholic school gym teachers from the 1950s find jobs as flight attendants.”  The Association of Professional Flight Attendants gave a quick-witted response to this comment.  Baldwin has yet to retort, especially now that he has deactivated his Twitter account because of the incident.

Clearly, the actor has anger management issues.  He cannot seem to control his behavior, be it a simple voice mail for his daughter or following the regulations of flying on an aircraft.  Baldwin should try to behave more civilly with “30 Rock” set to return next month.  In my opinion, it is one of the funniest shows on television and no one wants drama surrounding a good comedy.

Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.