Chic Holiday Outfit Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

It’s the holiday season and you’re scrambling to find gifts for family, friends and significant others;

but don’t forget about a very important person: you! You worked hard all semester and you’ve rocked your exams. It’s time to get in the holiday spirit. What will you wear? Maybe your family is casual and you’re satisfied with a t-shirt and jeans. Or maybe every year your mom insists on inviting 100+ guests to a holiday gala and it’s an elegant affair. From cute, tacky sweaters to formal gowns, this holiday is filled with a multitude of options. And most importantly, you can look festive and cute on a college budget.

LBD
Every girl must own a Little Black Dress (or two or three). This versatile wardrobe staple can be dressed up or down. Add a cardigan or colorful blazer, or a scarf or belt to add a little pizzazz.

Sparkly Cardigan
As you know, I love cardigans. The easiest way to add a festive note to your outfit is by adding a sparkly (or another color/pattern of your choice) sweater to a simple t-shirt or tank top. You can pair this with a skirt, leggings (if shirt and cardigan are long enough, of course), or pants.

Tights

These are not your grandmother’s pantyhose. Instead of your average black tights, try a colorful hue such as burgundy, teal or mustard yellow. Paired with skirts or dresses, these tights add a pop of color. If color is not your thing, spice up your outfits with patterned tights, which can be found at a variety of stores.

The Infamous Ugly Christmas Sweater
Have you been invited to a Tacky Christmas Party? Or maybe your grandma bought you a ridiculous sweater last year that you swore you would never wear, but now you’re seeing it everywhere. The ugly Christmas sweater, paired with the right accessories, can actually – dare I say it? – be cute. Pair it with jeans or a skirt and tights. If your sweater is big, pair it with black leggings and boots, and belt it.

Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.