This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

We’ve finally reached the fall months! While it is spooky season, it’s not necessarily sweater season here in New Orleans. Many people here are used to the classic leaf-changing and chilly weather we fondly associate with fall, so we feel a little shortchanged during this extension of summer in New Orleans. Here are some things you can do to get into the fall mood in spite of the weather!

Decorate for fall

For me, the biggest indication of fall was the decorating. From Halloween décor to pumpkins to stuffed scarecrows, fall-time décor can definitely get you into the spirit of autumn. Decorating your dorm with colorful artificial leaves, pumpkins, and wood signs will remind you of fall at home. 

Pro-tip: put some cinnamon branches in your room. Not only do they look cute, but they’ll fill your dorm with the warm, spicy scent of fall without the use of candles!

Engage in traditionally fall-time activities

Everyone’s favorite thing to do in the fall is to go to the pumpkin patch! A fantastic photo-op, visiting the pumpkin patch is the perfect way to celebrate the season and to spend time with friends. Pick the perfect pumpkin to spice up your dorm! 

Fall-Time Snacks

From iced pumpkin spice lattes to cinnamon apple pie, enjoying seasonal treats is a great way to get into the spirit of autumn without worrying about the weather. Here you can take advantage of spending time with buddies while preparing a delicious treat that everyone can share. Bonus: you’ll make the common room smell fantastic after you’re done.

Even though the weather may not be in line with the season, there are still plenty of things you can do to get into the autumn vibe. Celebrate the season in style this year!!

Tulane freshman on the pre-med track
Her Campus Tulane