Candace the Munchie Monster: Stovetop Smoked Gouda Macaroni and Cheese

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

I honestly don’t think I could ever be vegan. My love for cheese and ice cream is pretty undefeatable. It’s
also pretty easy to say that one of my favorite comfort foods in macaroni & cheese. It’s got everything
you would ever need- cream, cheese and pasta. It’s perfect for a cold day, or when you need to whip
up something quickly since finals are rolling around. If you really haven’t got the time I’d recommend
Annie’s microwaveable white cheddar easy mac. When I discovered this recipe I knew it was meant to
be. It’s simple but mouthwateringly delicious and even contains curly pasta which manages to capture
more gooey cheese. The addition of smoked Gouda and pepper jack cheese instead of a simple cheddar
gives you an unexpected kick and makes it pretty unstoppable to prevent me from finishing the bowl
and getting seconds…or thirds…

Stovetop Smoked Gouda Macaroni and Cheese
:
Source: Adapted from Heat Oven to 350

• 14 oz. cavatappi pasta (or elbow macaroni)
  • 1/4 c. unsalted butter
  • 1/4 c. flour
  • 2 c. milk
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 4 oz. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
  • 4 oz. shredded smoked gouda cheese

In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions.

While water is coming to a boil, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and
whisk together. Cook for 1 minute. Slowly add milk, just a bit at a time, whisking well after each addition
until the milk is incorporated. Cook and stir mixture until it thickens, about 4-5 minutes. Remove milk
mixture from heat and stir in cheeses until melted.

Drain pasta and toss with cheese sauce. Season to taste with additional salt, if needed. Enjoy.

Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.