Candace the Munchie Monster: Heart Shaped Churros

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Happy Valentines Day!! To all of those who are also desperately studying for exams before the festivities of Mardi Gras, good luck!! I have never known anybody to not like churros. If you’re healthy and don’t eat friend things it doesn’t mean you don’t  like churros, you just don’t like what happens after you’re done eating them. However, once I came across this recipe for heart-shaped churros, I just knew that I had to share them!!

Churros Dough
1 cup water
2 1/2 tablespoons white sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 quarts oil for frying
Cinnamon Sugar
1/2 cup white sugar, or to taste
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Method
In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine water, 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar, salt and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Stir in flour until mixture forms a ball of dough.
Place dough in a piping bag and pipe heart shapes onto a sheet of parchment paper.
Heat oil for frying in deep-fryer or deep saucepan to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). You can test this by placing a wooden chopstick or skewer into the oil and if it bubbles around the chopstick the oil is ready.
Use a deep frying spatula (or similar) to carefully place the hearts into the oil. If you’re not making heart shaped churros you can pipe strips of dough into hot oil using a pastry bag to form a long churro. Fry until golden and drain on paper towels.
Combine 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon. Roll drained churros in cinnamon and sugar mixture.
Enjoy!
Thanks to: http://girlmeetssugar.com/2012/02/12/valentines-day-churros/

Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.