Candace the Munchie Monster: Dairy Free Eggnog & Green Tree Jello Shots for Post-Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

My roommate loves eggnog. Although I’m not a huge fan, I did discover a lovely recipe for dairy-free
eggnog that you can not only make from scratch, but then also drink over the course of the next week
(it’ll help relieve stress from finals, I swear). It’s dairy free so that it’ll give vegan readers the opportunity
to make something delicious. On the other hand, once finals are over I’ve located this great jello shot
recipe (it’s not only green, but in the shape of a Christmas tree). If you can find the mold, it’s totally
worth it, otherwise a Christmas themed jello shot is bound to lift everyone’s spirit after finals and get
them excited for the most wonderful time of the year!

Dairy Free Eggnog

Ingredients:
4 egg yolks
2.25 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1 – 400mL can of full-fat coconut milk
1/4 cup palm sugar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp ground nutmeg *see note
1 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch allspice

Directions:

1. Separate egg whites and yolks.

2. Place egg yolks in a small mixing bowl and set aside

3. Combine remaining ingredients in a medium sized saucepan and bring to a simmer on medium
heat.

4. Reduce heat to low.

5. Slowly add approximately 1/4 cup of the hot liquids to the egg yolks while whisking
continuously. Continue until you’ve added about one cup of the liquid mixture to the egg yolks
before transferring the yolks to the pot.

6. Bring back up to medium heat and whisk while simmering for 4 minutes.

7. Remove from heat and serve immediately or pour in a mason jar and refrigerate.

8. Best sprinkled with a touch of ground cinnamon and nutmeg!

Note: If you plan on drinking the eggnog right away, opt for less nutmeg (1/2 tsp is best). If you’re
planning on letting it sit for 1-2 days before enjoying, go with 1 teaspoon. I found that the longer it sat,
the more the flavor developed instead of hitting you with a strong punch of nutmeg!

*Source*

Green Tree Jello Shots for Post-Finals

1 (3 ounce) box lime jello (I like sugar free)
1/2 package plain Knox gelatin (one teaspoon)
1/4 cup cold water
3/4 cup vodka (I would suggest a flavored one)*
special mold needed: tree shaped silicone

star confetti:
assembly gelatin (1/2 cup water and 1/2 envelope gelatin)
coconut
*to make them stronger, you can use one cup of vodka and no cold water

Lightly spray molds with cooking spray and wipe out with a clean paper towel (this will leave just enough
residue to help loosen them later). Set mold on a moveable, flat surface, such as a cookie sheet.

Pour 1 cup of water into a small saucepan. Sprinkle with 1/2 envelope of plain gelatin and allow to soak
for a minute or two. Heat over low heat, stirring constantly, until gelatin is dissolved (about 5 minutes).
Add lime gelatin and stir until dissolved. Stir in 1/4 cup cold water, and then the vodka.

Pour in molds and refrigerate several hours or overnight.

*Kudos*

Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.