The Campus is Your Runway – NYFW Winter/Fall 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Yet another New York Fashion Week has quickly come and passed, and we are now left to stare at the remnants of what used-to-be on our favorite fashion sites. Although the ending of a fashion week is never a time of rejoicing, it is a great opportunity to reflect on what designers displayed on the runways and, more importantly, see how we can apply those displayed trends to our everyday style. It is oftentimes challenging to distinguish the wearable looks from the “editorial” ones that come down the runway each season, allow me to be of assistance. Get ahead of the fashion curve and be the first gal on campus to rock these fresh new looks as you strut to the library (or class). Below are FIVE looks from FIVE different designers that YOU should rock throughout the remaining of the semester:

1. COLORED FUR: The Michael Kors Fall/Winter 2015 collection displayed one of the most beautiful fur coat creations I have ever laid eyes on, and to make it even better, it is a gorgeous deep-teal hue. Colored fur is IN and (hopefully) here to stay, so stay in warm in colorful furry style, just like our girl Kendall Jenner!

2. OVERSIZED SCARVES: The J. Crew Fall/Winter 2015 presentation was a beautiful blend of cutting edge style meets everyday wear. Among many wearable ensembles was this little number below, ankle-length jeans with a rich navy blue oversized scarf (that arguably doubles as a warm, practical blanket).

3. LAYERED DRESSES: Calvin Klein Fall/Winter 2015 collection had many leather pieces worked in, a few being mini-dresses with a twist (like the one pictured below). A new take on the leather mini-dress, a layered look featuring a long-sleeved tee shirt underneath. It is now officially acceptable to wear sleeveless dresses all year round! Yay!

4. DRESSES AS SHIRTS: The Rag and Bone Fall/Winter 2015 collection taught us another important lesson, that slip dresses are now multi-purpose! Woot woot! A couple of the designer’s stand out runway looks this season were slip dresses thrown over simple pant and shirt outfits. Voila, a fresh look is born through the magic of layering.

5. COLORED LENSES: The Karen Walker Fall/Winter 2015 collection was filled with bright bold colors in the forms of skirts, twill jackets, booties, and (most importantly) SUNGLASSES. Karen Walker is known for killing the sunglass game, and she sure lived up to that reputation this past fashion week with a few sassy pairs that just screamed “trendsetter!” Pictured below are beautifully constructed cat-eye shaped, tortoise frames with PURPLE, yes, PURPLE lenses. Love. Too. Much.

Take on the rest of your semster in full fashion form and try these trends out! Best of luck to you all… MWAH (kisses)!

Her Campus Tulane