Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner on Freret

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Being a food-loving college student in New Orleans can be hard. There are so many delicious places to eat, but only so little time and so little money. Luckily, there are some amazing restaurants super close to campus. Taking a quick walk to one of the amazing restaurants on Freret street will save you some time and money while giving you a great taste of the New Orleans food scene. 

Breakfast: Humble Bagel

Why: Humble Bagel is the epitome of a classic bagel shop in that they actually only have bagels. Every day there is a daily special bagel, like chocolate chip or sourdough, in addition to some more mainstream flavors. They also have amazing cream cheeses including sun-dried tomato & basil and baked apple & cinnamon. 

What to eat: Try one of the fun cream cheeses, like habanero peach on a honey whole wheat bagel. Or, if you’re a lover of breakfast sandwiches, the bacon egg and cheese is mouthwatering and big enough to share. Humble Bagel also squeezes their own juices daily, which is the perfect healthy addition to your breakfast. 

Lunch: Wayfare

Why: Wayfare is a dream come true in that each menu item somehow looks better than the last. It’s open for lunch and dinner, but its sandwiches and salads are better geared towards lunch. 

What to eat: The Wayfare salad is so refreshing and is a good chance to eat your veggies that aren’t from Bruff. The most popular sandwich at the restaurant is their BLT, which is anything but ordinary- it’s topped with fried green tomatoes, arugula, and sweet potato hot sauce. The mac & cheese side is a must and great to share with friends!

Dinner: Mint Modern Vietnamese Bistro 

Why: Mint features a menu with Vietnamese twists on American classics. The atmosphere is very trendy, the food is inexpensive, and its a great place to go with friends because of the appetizers that are great for splitting.

What to eat: On the menu there is a “teasers” section which has inexpensive appetizers that are good for the table. One of the most popular items are the Vietnamese pork tacos, which come two per order. For dinner, try one of the rice dishes, which lets you sub brown rice for a healthier option. For a more American inspired meal, the banh mi burger is another fan-favorite. It is topped with veggies (so we can pretend it’s healthy!) and comes with yummy seasoned fries. 

Her Campus Tulane