Best Places To Study Outside At Tulane

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Spring semester finals are rapidly approaching, and every year Tulane students face the same problem: the torture of sitting inside at the library when the weather is just so beautiful. Early May in New Orleans is sunny, warm, and not yet abrasively humid. It makes studying even more unbearable, so I’m here to help: here are some of the best places on campus to study outside!

• PJ’s on Willow: No, PJ’s coffee is not ideal. But it’s on campus, so it’s close, and if you can find an empty table outside it is truly ideal. Steps away from the convenience of phone chargers and a bathroom, you do not have to feel the usual guilt of coming to a coffee shop to study without buying anything, because it’s on Tulane property. That’s a good justification, right? Regardless, it is conveniently located and won’t cost you an uber anywhere.
  • Starbucks on Maple: This Starbucks has the cutest porch and is only a five minute walk from campus. The outside area offers a perfect combination of shade and sunlight, and there are plenty of yummy lunch places close by if you get hungry. Also, unlike Loyola’s Starbucks, there will be no passive-aggressive signs directing that priority is “for Loyola students”. We just need our Starbucks fix, so to Loyola’s student government, please calm down.
  • Gibson Hall: The area outside Gibson on the A-Quad has lots of cute chairs and tables outside with shady umbrellas over them. This is a great option that is less crowded during finals because it is more tucked away, and the Academic Quad is quieter thanks to the lack of classes.
  • Pocket Park: Located outside the LBC, this area avoids the loudness and foot traffic of the LBC’s quad side while still offering a great outside study option. With plenty of food options at your fingertips and buildings on three sides that help shield you from wind, this is a more secluded option that is still centrally located.

Finals is not an easy time, especially when it feels like summer in New Orleans. Taking the time to study outside will help boost your vitamin D and your morale. Sometimes, the best cure for a lack of focus can be switching up your study environment, and so doing work outside is a great option to enjoy beautiful weather while still not failing all of your exams. At least, hopefully-these outside study spots do not guarantee a passing grade, they just help you work towards it a little better.

Her Campus Tulane