Best Dressed: Academy Awards 2012

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

The 2012 awards season came to a close last Sunday with the 84th Annual Academy Awards. And what an incredible season it was! While I watched the awards shows to see the winners, I was more interested in what (or who) celebrities were wearing. As always, there were the stars that played it safe, those who were criticized by Joan Rivers and the Fashion Police, and those who rocked the red carpet. This awards season, many stars previously known for fashion “don’ts” stepped up their game. Here are the top 5 looks from the 2012 Academy Awards:

5.  Emma Stone 

This funny girl is not joking when she hits the red carpet. Usually, Stone’s choices are quirky yet chic. However, for the Academy Awards, she went couture in a red Giambattista Valli halter gown with a large neck bow. To finish off the dramatic, high fashion look, the gown was paired with a silver clutch and a sleek bun, making Emma Stone one of the runners-up for best dressed this year

4.  Rose Byrne 

Rose has been on the ball this awards season, taking chances with fashion (and pulling them off), and rocking a fierce bob to go along with her picks. For the Academy Awards, Byrne chose a slinky sequin midnight blue Vivienne Westwood one-shoulder gown. She paired the gown and the sassy bob with Chanel drop earrings and Jimmy Choo platform heels. According to the Bridesmaids star, the gown was “the first thing [she] tried on,” and a great choice it was.

3.  Jessica Chastain 

While The Help star looked glamorous at previous awards shows this season, she saved the best and most intricate gown for last. The black Alexander McQueen gown was covered in elaborate copper embroidery, giving it a regal feel. So as to not take away from the dress, Chastain wore delicate earrings and loose curls, perfecting the whole look. 

2.  Octavia Spencer 

Like Rose Byrne, Octavia Spencer made it onto a prior “Best Dressed” article this awards season, and how could she not make it again in her gorgeous beaded silk and tulle Tadashi Shoji gown, Jimmy Choo heels and Judith Leiber clutch? The dress fit her body perfectly, giving her an hourglass shape. The Best Supporting Actress Winner is also a winner in my book.

1.  Gwyneth Paltrow 

Coming in at number one is Academy Award winner Gwynneth Paltrow looking stunning in a white one-shoulder figure hugging Tom Ford gown. The decision to wear the white cape with it is not as scandalous as previous looks (Bjorks’s swan dress, anyone?) but it definitely was bold. The beautiful actress paired a simple diamond cuff bracelet and a simple ponytail with her caped gown. While so many things could have gone wrong with this choice, I think Apple’s mom deserves the number one spot, if only for making a superman cape chic.

Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.