Best Dressed: 2011 Emmy Awards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

This past Sunday was the 63rd Primetime Emmy Awards, and as always, I was more concerned with Giuliana Rancic’s red carpet interviews before the show and the Fashion Police post show than the actual award ceremony. I loved seeing the variety of dresses – both wacky and traditional. Here are my favorite ensembles of the night:

4. Retro Glamour
Saturday Night Live’s Kristen Wiig is usually a contender for the Worst Dressed on the red carpet, but not this time. Wiig channeled the 1970s in a chocolate brown Zac Posen gown. The plunging neckline, gold Fred Leighton jewelry, and the gradual saturation of monochromatic color created a chic retro look. Her natural, flowing locks add to the simplicity of the dress, completing the ensemble.

3. Back to Basics
Black was not the most popular color at the Emmy Awards this year, but that’s not the only reason Lena Headey stood out. Headey channeled Audrey Hepburn in this long-sleeved, belted Alessandra Rich gown. While I’m not a fan of her dark hair with the dress, Headey took risk wearing it (as it is very different from the other red carpet gowns) and she rocked it. My favorite part is the lace back – it makes this classic dress a little sexier.

2. Lady in Red

Kate Winslet is always gorgeous (at least in my opinion) but she really worked the carpet at this year’s Emmy Awards in a simple yet sultry red Elie Saab gown. Winslet rocked the low-cut, form-fitting gown, and stood out amongst the many other red gowns that flooded the red carpet. The drop earrings and wavy updo increase this starlet’s glamour status.

1. The Lady is a Vamp

Like Winslet, Vampire Diaries’ Nina Dobrev looked gorgeous in red. I am usually not a fan of the mermaid-look, but Dobrev’s Donna Karan dress fits her perfectly, and the understated jewelry and hair allow the dress to be the talk of the town, not to mentionthe fit of the dress – girlfriend looks fierce.While Dobrev did not receive an Emmy this year, she definitely takes home the Best Dressed Award.

Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.