Best District Donut Flavors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

As a donut lover, I couldn’t contain my excitement last February when I first had District Donuts. I remember stopping at Stein’s, only to get a small soup to save my appetite for the donut I would be getting next. I went into District Donuts feeling hyped, and chose to get the Cookies n Crème donut. Although it made a great instagram, I was greatly disappointed with the donut, and decided not to go back to District Donuts for the rest of the year. However, I kept on seeing instagrams and heard people claiming that “they were the best donuts in the world,” and with each picture I got more and more confused. Yes they were unique, and yes they were the size of my face, but I did not think they were so great. But, I decided to give it another try. I went back a few weeks ago and got the beignet donut, since Café du Monde is my second favorite place in New Orleans (first being District Donuts). It’s safe to say my opinion of District Donuts has changed since last February, since I have been to D.D. at least 4 times in the past 3 weeks. I have accumulated a list of my favorite D.D. as of now, and look forward to trying even more!

Pumpkin Cheesecake

From my previous article you can probably tell I am a huge pumpkin lover, which is probably why this is my favorite flavor. Topped with delicious, glazed pumpkin seeds, this donut is filled with a pumpkin flavored cheesecake filling that really blew my mind. Definitely the best flavor at D.D., and get it as much as you can since it’s a seasonal flavor!

Horchata

(Left) When I first went in, I was hesitant to get this flavor since I had no idea what this strange ~horchata~ was. After texting my friend Carly, the ultimate D.D. lover, I learned horchata was a Mexican drink that tasted like a mixture of almond and cinnamon. I also learned it was filled with rice pudding, my absolute favorite thing in the world. So, I had to get it. It was so amazing I had to order a second one. Definitely recommend getting this whenever it’s on the menu.

Beignet

As you can probably tell, I like donuts that are filled with yummy gooeyness. The beignet is pretty much a Café Du Monde beignet filled with a heavenly coffee-like cream. Enough said.

Strawberry Basil (Refer to second picture: middle): I was a little scared to try the strawberry basil donut since it did not have a filling, but was pleasantly surprised. The icing made up for the lack of filling, and was the perfect combination of fruity and sweet.

Cookie Dough (Refer to second picture: right): Cookie dough + donut = match made in heaven. Filled with cream and topped with actual cookie dough and chocolate chips, this donut is loved by everyone and a major hit.

Her Campus Tulane