America’s Present and Future From a Millennial’s Perspective

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

As I sit here attempting to write this article, I am bombarded by thoughts and emotions, but a lack of words to express these feelings. I am ashamed by the amount of hate that has consumed our nation. I am angry at those who believe our country is safe in the hands of a predator. I am scared that my rights and value as a human being will be diminished because of my gender. I am saddened that my immigrant, LBGTQ+, black, Muslim, Hispanic, Jewish, disabled, and female friends will live in fear every day. While I am terrified at what this nation can potentially become, I still have hope.

Our generation has been labeled as a social media obsessed, ignorant, self-centered group that has no regard for the important issues. In a simple Google search of “millennials are” the top 3 suggested searches are “lazy,” “killing,” and “stupid.” The majority of our country clearly has little faith in us, but being in an environment filled with intelligent, capable, and unique college students has given me a very different perspective. I am constantly blown away by the courage of my peers and their ideas for change in America, as well as the world. In the past 7 days alone, I have watched my acquaintances, friends, and neighbors join together in multiple peaceful protests for the Black Lives Matter movement and in opposition of Donald Trump. THAT is a generation that cares about the issues. THAT is a generation that will make a difference in this world.

Prior to being a college student, I had absolutely no knowledge about politics. I knew what my family knew, and I thought that was all I really needed. I avoided political conversations at all costs and barely knew the principles of the political party that I claimed I supported. Once I got to Tulane and was surrounded by “lazy” and “stupid” millennials, however, I began to listen to my peers discuss their political views. I learned what a Libertarian is. I understood the diversity of opinions on key issues. I watched debates in the common room with my floor and, to my surprise, I had a genuine opinion about them. So I voted. More importantly, I didn’t vote for someone because my friends or family voted for them; I voted for the person that I wanted to see run our country. My vote did not help elect my candidate of choice, and some may even say that since I voted in the already-blue state of New York my vote didn’t matter. But it did. My vote and the votes of my fellow millennials show that we care. We have an opinion on what this country should be and we will fight to see our dreams become a reality.

So to all of those feeling shocked, upset, or enraged at the results of this election: please have hope. Discuss your beliefs with others, agree or disagree, but listen and understand. The system does not have a flawless success rate, but this country gives us a voice that so many other nations would ignore. Use that voice for good and make a difference in this world because each and every one of us has the power to do so.

Her Campus Tulane