This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

CAMPUS DATING SPOTLIGHT:

ALLERGIC ATTRACTION

Food allergies suck. I said it and I’ll say it again because it’s true!! Dairy, nuts, soy, gluten, shellfish the list goes on and on. When you’re younger with a serious allergy, it can be easier to stay safe and healthy. Mom packs your lunch, your school has a peanut free cafeteria, whatever the case may be you can have an awesome childhood and live freely with a food allergy. But what happens when you go to high school, college or move out of the house and realize that the entire world is not going to protect you from that one dreaded nut. Friendships, romantic relationships and dining experiences can all be affected by an allergy and it can be really hard to maintain a vibrant social life while catering to an important dietary need. No one wants to give up going out to dinner with friends and no one wants to miss out on kissing that one guy just because he had a peanut butter cup. Come on guy…Why did you have to eat that peanut butter cup? But fear not! I spoke to sisters and founders of the new dating website Allergic Attraction (is the name genius or is it genius) and got the scoop on their clever new dating outlet to help kids with serious allergies take control of their social lives in environments that aren’t always allergy friendly.

What is it?

A dating and social interaction site for college kids with food allergies to connect and create relationships!

Where did the idea come from?

Arianne’s son (and Alexis’ nephew) has a serious tree nut allergy and while staying on top of it for most of his young life he had an incident near Christmas where a brownie sent him into anaphylactic shock. It really scared him and the family! While the sisters knew they could protect him and control the allergy while he was living at home there was no guarantee that when he became more independent, the world would cater to his allergy. “He’s a young boy. He doesn’t take care of himself! He’s going to kiss a girl. He’s going to get a roommate. He’s going to reach for a granola bar!” The presence of allergies is overwhelming in adulthood so the website was made in hopes of reaching out to communities and school campuses to help create a safe community for kids with allergies to get involved and feel like they won’t have to miss out on dinner, food, or experiences.

How does it work?

Go online to Allergicattraction.com and fill out your name, age, interests, and of course… allergy!

What can we expect from this company in the future?

You can expect its presence on a ton of college campuses! Spread the word and form a small community of allergy pals and get yo’ date on. 

Her Campus Tulane