5 Tips for Furnishing Your Off Campus Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Many of you might be moving off campus and preparing to live in your own house or apartment for the first time. Once you’ve overcome the hurdles of choosing roommates and securing a lease all that’s left is the somewhat hefty task of furnishing your home. Here are five tips to help you out! 

1. Coordinate with prior tenants

If you can, try and get in touch with the people who currently live in the house that you will be moving in to. To avoid the cost and labor of moving furniture, see if there are any pieces you want to purchase from them. Maybe the person whose room you will take over is willing to sell you their bed, desk and dresser. Maybe there is a perfect L-shaped couched in the living room that the tenants bought from the people there before them. You never know the time, money and energy you could save!

2. Check Craigslist and Tulane Classifieds

Many seniors are in a rush to sell their furniture and household items before they leave town after graduation. Check online for good deals from departing students. Often times, these students will give you great prices because they are desperate to get rid of their things by the end of May. You might even find some novelty “college” items like a custom beer pong table or backyard bar. 

3. Watch the sidewalks

Keep your eyes peeled for pieces of furniture discarded on the side of the road. Sometimes all it takes is a fresh coat of paint or even a good wipe down to spruce up a neglected chair, table or bookcase. Often people leave things on the side of the road because they are in good condition and want people to take them, they just didn’t have the time to sell or donate it. 

4. Ask your parents

You never know what old things your parents have lying around their house that they would be willing to part with. Maybe your mom has an extra set of Queen sheets that she can give you. Maybe your dad has some old shotglasses purchased during a vacation to Mexcio years ago. Offer to help your parents clean out the house and you will proabably end up with some great things to transport to your college home. 

5. Plan with your roommates

To ensure that your house doesn’t end up with four toaster ovens and no microwave, talk to your roommates to figure out who is responsible for bringing what items into the house. Make sure you keep a list somewhere so when you move out, you’ll know who is responsible for selling what items. You might acquire various household items and furniture over the summer so it’s best to keep a facebook chat or group text going to keep each other updates on the new purchases and additions.