The 5 Throwback TV Shows You Have to Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Every now and then we all get a desire to start a new TV show– a burning, unbelievably inopportune desire, which usually flares up during midterms or finals. Whether or not this desire stems from a deeply-rooted procrastination problem, or just out of boredom, we’ve all been there. Moreover, if you’re like me, you’ve been through just about every TV show known to man (even Dragon Tales). When this happens, panic usually sets in, followed by denial and a slight twinge of shame, but there’s no need to fear. Along with high-waisted jeans and converse, TV shows of the past are making major comebacks. The 70s to the early 2000s are filled with unbelievable classics that your parents probably loved, and make no mistake, you’ll be telling your kids about them too. At the very least you’ll be introduced to some amazing soundtracks and outfit ideas (no, you were NOT the first to make crop tops cool). Get out your jiffy pop and jelly sandals, these 5 throwback TV shows are about to make a totally tubular addition to your procrastination habit. 

1. Freaks and Geeks 

If you haven’t watched this TV show, you cannot consider yourself a cultured collegiette. Filled with tons of angsty-teen bliss, Freaks and Geeks will hook you (and eventually make you cry when you realize there was only one season). If that’s not enough to entice, you, young pre-famous Seth Rogen, Jason Siegal, and James Franco star as goofy burnouts in the show. It’s geeky dreamboat central, and the 70s soundtrack is TO DIE FOR. Definitely check this out, and try not to buy a green army jacket afterwards, I dare you.

2. The Golden Girls

3 words. Betty friggin’ White. With an all-star cast, this TV show is perfect to binge watch on a girls night in with your best gal pals. Make no mistake, just because these girls are your grandparents age, doesn’t mean they don’t know how to have a good time. Filled with amazing advice about life, love, and loss, this show will make you fall in love with all four roommates (and there isn’t a single episode you won’t LOL at multiple times). Without a doubt, Dorothy, Blanche, Sophia, and Rose will be the roommates of your dreams.

3. Frasier 

Dr. Frasier Crane is witty humor personified. Him and his flamboyant brother Niles make for a hilariously perfect duo, and you’ll be furiously scribbling down their one-liners for future use. A definite must-see if you like intellectual humor. 

4. M*A*S*H

Easily one of the greatest shows of all time, every season was flawless. An instant classic, the characters on the show could not have been better casted. You’ll be dying of laughter and crying alongside the characters, and the hunky doctors put Grey’s Anatomy to absolute shame (Hawkeye> McDreamy). Set during the Korean War, you’ll get a smattering of history alongside the hilarious practical jokes. 

5. 21 Jumpstreet 

The original. No Channing, no Jonah. Just as much young Johnny Depp as you can handle. Set in the 80s, great hair, great music, a bunch of totally hot undercover cops, and lots of teenage debauchery.

I like cats, rugby, and the New England Patriots. Tulane University '18
Her Campus Tulane