5 Reasons You Should Be Obsessed with Shameless Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

The season 7 premiere is less than two weeks away, and whether you’ve just started your Shameless adventure or you’re a diehard fan—here’s why you need to be obsessed with the Gallaghers ASAP.

1. Fiona is a bad ass

It’s undeniable. The girl takes care of the entire world, is way cooler than I’ll ever be, and takes all her shortcomings in stride. She makes me want to move in next door and drink boxed wine until ridiculous hours of the morning.

1. Nothing is off limits

The series touches on several touchy subjects: mental health, alcohol abuse, domestic violence, sexual assault—nothing is too heavy for our favorite family in the South Side. It’s impossible not to get emotionally entangled into every character arc this show has to offer.

1. It doesn’t apologize for what it is

It’s a show about poverty and dysfunctional families and a group of people just trying to make ends meet at the end of the day—and it never apologizes for it. Instead it stands there on the front porch with a cigarette and asks you what the hell you’re looking at.

1. It’s comforting

As much as I love the Gallaghers, I’d be lying if I didn’t mention that part of the reason I love them so much is because they make my family look painfully boring. It’s nice to watch four episodes in a row on Netflix and forget all about the stress of the real world for a little while.

1. Phillip Gallagher 

Enough said.

So excuse me while I go binge watch the remainder of the series on Netflix (where you can catch up on all six seasons in the next two weeks) and you can join me by tuning into Showtime at 9PM E/T to see what your fave dysfunctional family will get into this season.

Her Campus Tulane