This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

When school gets busy, the first thing that gets bumped from my schedule is always watching TV. Anyone else get anxious just thinking about spending an entire precious hour staring at a laptop screen? As a result, podcasts have become my new best friend. I love that I can stay entertained without getting too distracted. These are a few shows that will hook you in from the first episode that you listen to, which I also gave suggestions for.

Pod Save America (start with 2020: Bernie Sanders)

The long episodes and serious topic might seem intimidating, but the hosts’ fun banter will put you at ease. This podcast covers everything American politics, and is a must-listen if you want to know what’s going on when everyone at your Thanksgiving dinner is discussing the 2020 presidential election. I don’t listen to every episode, but the interviews with candidates and debate recaps are great.

Schnitt Talk (start with If You Wanna Be My Lover)

Listening to this podcast makes me feel like I’m hanging out with my friends. It features two women, Ellie and Alanna, talking about life in their twenties. Their advice always feels relevant to something that I’m currently going through. This is my go-to podcast if I want to be in a good mood.

How I Built This (start with Burt’s Bees: Roxanne Quimby)

Even if you’re not studying business, there is a lot to learn from successful entrepreneurs. Every episode is an interview of the founder of a successful company, many of which are probably ones that you love (Glossier, Whole Foods, and Rent the Runway, to name a few). This is a great one for those days when you suddenly consider changing your major and picking up two minors.

The Moth (start with Radio Hour: Gang Initiations, My Way and the KKK)

I love listening to The Moth when I work out because I get so engrossed in the podcast that time flies by. The Moth has live events and workshops around the world that are all about storytelling. The podcast episodes feature several stories from different events that all center around a theme. What amazes me most is that all of the incredible stories are true events that happened to the storytellers. 

Who? Weekly (start with Peppa Pig, A$AP Rocky & Digital Fur Technology)

A few of my previous recommendations cover pretty heavy topics, but this podcast is as light and silly as it gets. It keeps me updated on celebrity gossip while making me laugh out loud. After listening to this show, I can rest assured knowing that I won’t miss out on any pop culture references.

There is a podcast out there for literally everyone. Start by picking a few to subscribe to that pique your interest and listening to them on your way to class or at the gym. From there, you can learn what you like and don’t like and curate better recommendations for yourself. Happy listening!

Hi! My name is Rachel Topolski, and I'm a junior at Tulane from Illinois. I'm majoring in management and minoring in social entrepreneurship. I'm so excited to spend my year writing for Her Campus.
Her Campus Tulane