5 Mardi Gras Parades You and Your “Krewe” Need to See During Mardi Gras Season!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Carnival season is back and better than ever! But with over 80 parades from January 6th through March 1st, which ones do you go to? After some research, and surveying native New Orleanians on what their favorite parades are, here are my top 5 parade recommendations to attend within the week leading up to Mardi Gras.

Krewe of trucks
Uptown –– Saturday February 26th –– 12:00 pm

Krewe of Trucks is a satirical float parade that is known for its unique throws, humorous references and has 36 super floats. Looking for some quality potty humor? The King’s float in the Krewe of Trucks is a giant toilet. I recommend this parade for anyone wanting the experience of a fun daytime parade that is a crowd favorite.

Krewe of endymion
Mid-City –– Saturday February 26th –– 4:15 pm

One of the largest parades of the carnival season, Krewe of Endymion is a must-see parade. Categorized as one of the three “Super Krewes,” the 37 floats parade through Mid-City and end at the Super Dome to hold a huge block party. If you are looking for the full Mardi Gras experience, you need to put Krewe of Endymion on your schedule.

Krewe of MUses
Uptown –– Thursday February 24th –– Follows knights of chaos parade

Known for their signature throw being hand-decorated shoes, the Krewe of Muses is the perfect way to kick-start your Mardi Gras weekend. Distinguished as one of the first all-female Mardi Gras krewes, the parade is filled with 26 beautiful floats and is a local favorite.

Krewe of ZUlu
Uptown –– Tuesday March 1st –– 8:00 am

Beginning at 8:00 am on Mardi Gras Day if you are planning to participate in “Tequilla Sunrise,” you need to see Krewe of Zulu! Krewe of Zulu is famous for their coconut throw and Louis Armstrong being crowned King Zulu in 1949. Rich in the krewe’s history and cultural presence, Zulu is the largest predominantly African American carnival organization.

Krewe of Iris
Uptown –– Saturday february 26th –– 11:00 am

Filled with mystery, tradition, and unique throws like the decorated sunglasses above, Krewe of Iris is the oldest all-female krewe. Set apart from other parades throughout the carnival season, Krewe of Iris members are known for wearing white gloves and decorated masks. With over 3000 members and 35 tandem floats, Krewe of Iris the a perfect day parade attend to enrich your weekend.

Final Mardi Gras Reminders

As nearly half of Tulane’s student body being brand new to the Mardi Gras season, it’s important to remember to:

• Stay hydrated
  • Use the buddy system
  • Bring a fanny pack
  • Eat a snack
  • Be aware of your surroundings
  • Please be safe

Mardi Gras is one of the best time’s of the year in New Orleans and I hope you and your “krewe” get the opportunity to explore these amazing parades!

Campbell Ray

Tulane '25

Campbell is a freshman at Tulane University interested in studying Business and Political Economy. When not in class, Campbell loves running, rock climbing, and singing Taylor Swift!