This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Although the Covid-19 pandemic has gotten in the way of parades, balls, and frat parties, there are still plenty of ways to celebrate Mardi Gras 2021. Make the most of this year by taking advantage of the events that ARE occurring.

Yardi Gras

While parades aren’t rolling down St. Charles this year, you can still drive by while enjoying the St. Charles float houses. Homeowners all around New Orleans are decorating their houses to theme to spread some Mardi Gras joy. You can find a map online to spot all of the float houses. Some of my favorite themes include Mamma Mia, unicorns, and The Real Housefloats of New Orleans!

Floats in the Oaks

Floats in the Oaks is a drive-through Mardi Gras float spectacle in City Park. Each car must purchase a ticket online prior to arriving. However, be aware of how long the line will be. My friends and I purchased a ticket, waited on line for nearly two hours, almost ran out of gas, and had to leave. So, my two recommendations? Arrive VERY EARLY, and with a full tank of gas.

Tulane Activities and Giveaways

Tulane has been hosting Mardi Gras-themed giveaways and events, in an attempt to fill out Mardi Gras-shaped voids. From LBC fanny packs to Study Abroad cups, be sure to pay attention to your emails and Tulane-related Instagram accounts to stay in the loop. Also check out WaveSync for any virtual events.

King Cake Hub

King Cake Hub is a pop-up that sells king cakes from all over the city. From a classic king cake from Bywater Bakery to a pink, strawberry cream cheese king cake from Brennan’s. Be sure to get there early because most of the king cakes sell out in the morning. I showed up too late and missed most of the king cake… between that and Floats in the Oaks I’ve been having pretty bad luck!

Celebrate With Your Roommates

Although most Mardi Gras festivities are canceled, nothing’s stopping you from having fun with your roommates! Purchase fun outfits from Funky Monkey, pick up a king cake, blast music, and have fun!

Hi, I'm Taylor, and I'm a freshman at Tulane! I'm from Long Island, NY and I love fashion, food, and music.
Her Campus Tulane