This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Going home for any break is usually a relief… Of course, you love school, you love your friends, you love Bruff (okay, maybe that’s a stretch) but that doesn’t mean you can’t be excited to go home and sleep in your own bed, eat food that isn’t mass produced in a cafeteria (ah, the luxury) and snuggle with your mom while binge watching Netflix. However, trips home can also be a little difficult. It can be hard to go back to your childhood home with your parents watching your every move after having experiencing independence at school. The constant barrage of questions from well-intentioned relatives can get so repetitive. And then you leave home again and even though you’re excited to get back to school, it can get kind of sad… Here are 4 tips to get you through some potentially sticky situations at home this vacation and avoid the stress:

1. Practice your patience.

You’re sitting around the table and your uncle asks how school is going. You tell him it’s dope and stuff and go back to your mashed potatoes. Then your aunt asks how school is going. You tell her it’s lovely and go back to your turkey. Then your weird old neighbor (who invited them to Thanksgiving anyway?) has the AUDACITY to ask you how school is going and suddenly you are fuming. Remember that people are genuinely interested in how you’re doing and all of the adventures you’re having at school––practice your patience and try to respond without getting frustrated. You can also just play the “let’s make crap up and see what I can get away with telling people” game… That’s always a good one!

2. Remember you’re still your parent’s child.

Coming home to your parents rules after being at school where you can go do pretty much whatever you want whenever you want can be tough. It’s like this weird tug-of-war: you feel like an adult but when you come home you’re probably sleeping in your childhood bedroom and eating your parents food and they’re paying pretty much everything. You’re lucky you even get to GO HOME! It won’t kill you to come home by midnight for a few nights if that’s what they expect of you while you’re under their roof. BE GRATEFUL YOU HAVE A ROOF TO BE UNDER, IT’S THANKSGIVING, C’MON. You’re still their kid no matter how old you are. You’ll be back at the Boot with your friends in no time, just follow tip #1 and practice your patience with them too.

3. Cherish the free time.

I’m lucky in that my courseload this time of year isn’t usually that crazy––I have always been able to buckledown the week before break and get everything done before I come home so I can relax while I’m on vacation, but I know that isn’t reasonable to expect of everyone. If you have to study over break, by all means, get your stuff done, but remember: it’s a vacation. Take the time to be with your family, your friends, and without your textbook or computer for a few hours. You work so hard, you deserve it. Also, you deserve an extra piece of pie at Thanksgiving dinner. Eat that too.

4. Don’t let the sadness of leaving make you grumpy.

My mom and I have discovered a pattern: every time I come home, we have a great time until the day before I leave. Then, the idea of my leaving again makes us both anxious and sad and we get upset with each other which is seriously SO DUMB. Don’t do it. You’ll be back home soon! Take advantage of every second you have at home until you get in the car to drive back or you’re at the airport. Don’t ruin the trip by getting angry over leaving… It won’t make you feel any better, I promise.

So go forth, have safe trips home, relax, and eat the whole bowl of cranberry sauce. Happy Thanksgiving!

World's okay-est snuggler.
Her Campus Tulane