3 Takeaways From This Past Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

1. Kevin Spacey has been accused of assault by an increasing number of people  (Oct 29-now)

The first accusation of sexual assault against Kevin Spacey came on October 29th by actor Anthony Rapp. Rapp alleges that Spacey made an advance on Rapp when he was only 14 years old. Spacey both apologized and came out as gay in said apology. He essentially was like, “I’m sorry that I did that, I’m gay.” People were, to say the least, pissed. Spacey essentially equated being gay to pedophilia. Since last Sunday, other actors and set workers, including Richard Dreyfuss’s son, have also accused Spacey of assault. In retaliation, Netflix has cancelled the production of their hit series House of Cards.

2. Mueller issued his first indictments (Oct 30)

Paul Manafort, one of Trump’s many campaign managers, was charged with tax fraud, money laundering, and violating the Foreign Agents Registration Act along with his partner, Richard Gates. The FARA is essentially an attempt to keep track of foreign influence. Foreign agents are people who, while residing in one country, are carrying out the interests of another. In this case, Manafort and Gates, while residing in America, were carrying out the interests of Ukraine and Russia. According to Vox, Manfort and Gates supposedly made as much as $75 million while promoting a Pro-Russian Ukrainian party (which won), and barely reported the interactions. Time and again,Trump has argued that the Russia investigation is nothing but a witch hunt– but these events are proving otherwise. Trump took to twitter to respond: 

Right….

Here is a link to the official report: https://www.justice.gov/file/1007271/download

3. Trump’s twitter was deactivated for a whole 11 minutes– and it was amazing (Nov 2)

Last Thursday, a customer-service employee deactivated Trump’s twitter on their last day of work. There’s nothing more to it than that, still pretty funny though.