A Woman’s Guide to Sexual Empowerment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

A Woman’s Guide to Sexual Empowerment

By, Two Friends Trying to Keep it Real

Hey ladies! Listen up. We know that the pressure some of you have experienced upon arriving to college with regards to sexual affairs can be overwhelming at times. It might seem like you are constantly expected to act in a certain way with your sexual assets; not only in the bedroom, but in how you dress or communicate with a potential suitor. Read on to discover how you can maintain self-respect through sexual empowerment that is tailored to your personal values.

First and foremost, let’s talk about clothing. In order to feel comfortable in your own skin, you should feel confident about the outfit you are wearing. You are the ultimate judge of what you should or should not wear on your body. That being said, clothing choices do give off powerful first impressions not only to the opposite gender, but also to other people you could potentially encounter. Be mindful that as much as it sucks, people who do not know you or get a chance to talk to you solely recognize you by your appearance. Don’t feel pressured to dress in a “sexy” or “slutty” manner in order to impress someone, because it has the potential to draw unwanted attention. When it comes down to though, as long as you are comfortable with the self-image you are giving off to others, that is what is key to feel sexually empowered with regards to your clothing choices.

Communication is another vital aspect to living a sexually empowered lifestyle. You need to primarily evaluate your personal values and what you will and will not feel comfortable doing with a lover. Do not be afraid to speak up in a situation and share what is on your mind with your partner. It is important that you always practice safe sex. Remember, we are in college and one mistake now could change the trajectory of your life. Ladies, bring a condom or other contraceptive method in your wallet in case you are in a sticky situation (no pun intended). One conversation about STD’s, birth control, or abstinence could help avoid future issues.  This conversation does not have to be awkward. Act secure and assertive about your intentions, and your partner will not only have greater respect for you, but will probably feel more confident sharing his or her views as well.

In most situations, it is not the lover that you are pursuing who judges you the hardest. A lot of girls admit to feeling the most pressure to have sex or frequent hookups from their friends, not from the suitors themselves. Other girls can be ruthless and harsh about what their friends are or are not doing in the bedroom. This usually comes from the friends’ own insecurities or jealousies. Keep this in mind if one of your pals is making you feel guilty or trying to pressure you into acting in a sexual manner that you do not feel ready for. Also remember that your sexual values, goals, and experiences are not required to be shared or validated by others.  

The bottom line is that when it comes to sexual empowerment, your choices should be made by you and not skewed by pressure from others. Be comfortable with your personal choices, and that confidence will radiate to others. You are in control of this aspect of your life, so own it. With all of these ideas in mind, please remember to have respect for other women. All females have different levels of sexual experience and self-confidence, so treat other women with respect about their sexual choices.

Courtney is a junior at Tufts University where she is majoring in International Relations with a double minor in Communications & Media studies and Economics. She has previously worked for Santander Bank US as a Digital Marketing Analytics Intern as well as Jumpstart Knowledge Adventure where she focused on Social Media Content Creation.