This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Earlier in February, Hollywood actress Ellen page, most known for her main role in Juno, openly announced she was lesbian at the time to THRIVE event in Las Vegas, a conference aimed to promote the universal wellbeing for LGBT youth. “I’m here today because I am gay.” She stated, “”I am tired of hiding and I am tired of lying by omission.”

Page’s declaration is an impressive step forward for the LGBT community. Her speech, coupled with the recent confirmation that NFL prospect Michael Sam is openly gay, show that tides are changing in the right direction and that society might be becoming more open to a increasingly ample definition of sexual identity. Page’s coming out is especially admirable when considering the implications of being an actress and leading a life that is constantly scrutinized under spotlight. Similar to Angelina’s decision to conduct bilateral mastectomy and its effect in raising the issue of breast cancer, Page’s revelation has impacted a large audience of admirers who could be encouraged by her commitment to promote a voice for the LGBT community. Her acknowledgment that each one of us is unique in our own way and should be equally accepted in the world at large is therefore very inspirational.

Taking a closer look at the smaller Tufts Community we can see that efforts to raise awareness on sexual identity are being made in our own familiar lawn. The LGBT center has consistently been offering programs and services throughout the year to anyone interested in learning more about LGBT-related subjects or issues of sexual and gender identity. Team Q, a group who shares their own experience and aims to promote dialogue on gender topics, has led fun workshops this year such as “Guess the Straight Person” or “Queer Info 101.” If you haven’t had the opportunity to attend any events yet though, worry not!  April is GAYpril at Tufts and there will be lots of events around campus for you to attend!

“We deserve to experience love fully, equally, without shame and without compromise,” Page declared to a passionate young crowd eager to hear that they are not alone in their cause. Her words ring true for us all. Thank you Ellen. Tufts collegiettes applaud you!

Resources

http://www.today.com

Tufts Association

http://www.cnn.com

Danyelle McInnis is a graduating senior at Tufts University, majoring in English.  She's interested in short story-writing, journalism, marketing, photography, creating websites, baking, and grilled cheese sandwiches.  She's left-handed and always has a secret stash of candy on hand in case the world suddenly runs out of sugar.  In her spare time, she writes about her ongoing transformation from pack rat to minimalist on her blog, Greyer Than Gray.