Tufts Free Compliments

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Name:
Zachary Michel and Marc Finder (respectively)

Class Year:
2014 and 2012

Major:
Undecided and History

What is Free Compliments?
Marc: Once a week for about an hour, we stand outside Tisch with a sign that reads, “FREE COMPLIMENTS!!” and shout compliments to people as they walk past.  We compliment everyone that walks past, regardless of age, gender, race, whether they have headphones on, whether they are on the phone, whether they are walking and talking with a group, etc.

How did the group get started?
Marc: The short version is, my friend Lori Lichtman started the group at Tufts last spring.  The long version is much more interesting. Last spring, Lori – a senior at that point – saw a Youtube video (specifically, THIS video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QShPNcjgtfs) of these two guys at Purdue who were doing exactly what we do now. Lori was so inspired that she decided to start doing it here. At the end of the school year I took the reins. Once, I was out complimenting when a middle-aged man came out of the library, approached me, and said that he graduated from Tufts nine years ago. When he was here there were two people doing exactly what I was doing- holding a sign that said “FREE COMPLIMENTS” and shouting compliments at people. So, apparently Free Compliments was a big movement that was at Tufts, left Tufts, and was finally brought back again.

How do people react?
Zachary: It depends. Some people ignore us, maybe because they feel awkward, or suspect we’re mocking them. Some people flash a quick smile and respond with a “thanks!” The best responses are people who are genuinely moved to smile or laugh, and if they’re so inclined, come and talk with us (or even join us)!

Have their been any bad reactions?
Marc: In my time complimenting, I’ve encountered three or so hostile people.  Once, Zack and I were complimenting and a TUPD officer walked by and into the library. Zack complimented him… something to do with the fire extinguisher he was holding (in truth, it was not the most insightful compliment) and his reaction was to curse at us. After a while he came out of the library and we were still out there.  Zack complimented him again, something a little more reasonable this time, and his response was very clear and to the point: “Kill yourself.”  He left and we, undeterred, continued business as usual.

Have you considered making Free Compliments an official Tufts-recognized group?
Zachary: I have thought about it, but the vibe I get from Marc is that he’d like to keep it independent. I think we could really expand our reach if we went big, but it’s something Marc and I would need to talk about.

Are your compliments genuine?
Marc: My comments are 100% genuine, but one adopts a very different mindset from their usual one when doing Free Compliments.  I have never told somebody that I liked something about them, their clothes, etc. that I actually disliked. But, at the same time, I sometimes find that I like a particular trait or fashion when giving compliments while normally I might be indifferent to it. As for the content of these compliments, they are for the most part superficial.

Do you need to pump yourself up before getting out there?
Zachary: When I first started complimenting, I’d need to. But now it’s become a natural part of my everyday interactions, so it’s easy.

What do you do about tour groups?
Marc: Tour groups love us.  I’ve been told that when a guide walks past us while we’re complimenting, they tell the other tour guides so they will be sure to take their groups past us.

When can we expect to see you out there?
Marc: We never go out on the same day and time two weeks in a row.  The purpose of this unpredictability is twofold: first, different people walk past our spot in front of Tisch at different times and days, so by varying we get to touch a variety of people, not the same ones over and over.  Secondly, if we had a set time we would be predictable and some people would walk past the library for the sole purpose of getting a compliment. In short, the element of surprise is a great tool that we like to use.

What compliment do you give the most?
Zachary: Well, I like to think every compliment is specifically tailored to its recipient. But the compliment I give most frequently is probably “you have a nice smile!” Because everyone has a nice smile! If they’re not smiling though, I usually compliment an item of clothing that looks nice on them.

How do you get new members?
Marc: Everyone is welcome.  We work out times together based on everyone’s schedule.  I complimented Zack as he walked by and he was so inspired that he stopped and talked to me. He was in a rush but loved what I was doing so asked me to email him about when I was doing it again.  The next week we went out and complimented together and it went great. From then on he became a dedicated member of the group.  Sometimes he brings a friend or two, sometimes I do, but we have still not come upon a 3rd dedicated person.  Sometimes, someone is so inspired that they join us (usually for just a few minutes) and shout compliments at people passing.

Have people ever mentioned the compliments to you?
Zachary: Yeah! It’s a good feeling, because they usually reciprocate with their own compliments.

Marc: I’ve been told by a friend that a classmate of theirs joyfully recounted how they were complimented and marked it as a high point of their week.  I can only remember one case of someone recognizing me- it was a girl who was at the same German movie screening as me. Sometimes in conversation I want to tell people that I’m the free compliments guy – but it’s not like I can just blurt it out.  On occasion I might bring it up with a person I just met and they say, “That’s where I’ve seen you before!”

Are you sure you’re not doing this just to meet girls?
Marc: We equally compliment people of both genders, we hardly get recognized out of the context of the Tisch patio, and we almost never actually get a two-way dialogue going with a person.

Danielle Carbonneau is a senior at Tufts University double majoring in English and Spanish with a minor in Communications and Media Studies. She is very interested in advertising and has been the editor-in-chief of a creative writing publication on campus. Danielle loves chocolate chip pancakes, horror stories, and her family. She has a crush on HerCampus and all the amazing contributing writers.