A Trip to Mexico? No, Just to Anna’s Taqueria!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Anna’s Taqueria has long been a favorite of Tufts students, satisfying Jumbos with fresh, delicious, authentic Mexican food for years. Yet despite our knowledge of all things Tufts, the ladies of Her Campus recently realized that we had yet to experience this food oasis for ourselves. So last week, we headed over to Davis to see what all the fuss was about. Below are our discoveries and tips for your next visit (we all agree that you have to try it!).

For starters: DO NOT ORDER EVERYTHING! Not knowing how substantial the portions are at Anna’s, we made this rookie mistake. If you want to try a little of everything, we definitely recommend you bring a crew. Or a doggie bag. Or a boy (same thing). While a burrito or a taco order will leave you satisfied, we recommend that you try a starter. The salsa and guacamole are both homemade, as are the warm, crispy chips with which they’re served… ¡que rico!

Try the veggies! Anna’s wide array of freshly cooked seasonal vegetables really stands out. In addition to the usual peppers and onions, the restaurant offers butternut squash, summer squash, and zucchini, as well! Which leads me to my next point…

Anna’s is vegetarian-friendly. The restaurant not only touts a superior selection of fresh veggies, but also offers all of its main dishes with beans and/or cheese in lieu of meat. We promise that all of the vegetarian options are just as delicious as those with meat, and that they definitely do not taste like anything is missing.

When in doubt, choose a quesadilla. Quesadillas are not a cop-out! At least not at Anna’s. Starting with a crispy, flat, tortilla containing melted cheese, you can customize your own quesadilla with meats, veggies, and condiments (much like a flat burrito). There is simply no way you can go wrong with an Anna’s quesadilla!

Don’t expect to drown in sauce or grease. Anna’s food is authentic, and is notably fresher than that of its nearby competitors. You choose what to include in your meal, and there never seems to be too much of any one ingredient. However, some feel that this makes the food at Anna’s less flavorful. However, some feel that this means that it lacks in flavor because of this. But have no fear, future Anna’s fans, this can easily be rectified – just ask for MORE of whatever ingredient you’re craving most!

Drink something tasty. While Anna’s offers the same array of sodas and lemonades as its competitors, the restaurant also has some yummy, more authentic drinks! With its cinnamon overtones, the horchata – a traditional Mexican drink made from fresh almonds and milk – is a good fall option. If you’re looking for a less sweet option, try Anna’s Jamaica. Made from boiled lotus flowers (casual), this drink is similar to a pomegranate beverage, and is a very refreshing complement to your meal.

If nothing we mentioned piqued your interests, don’t worry – Anna’s Taqueria has many other options, in addition to those we’ve discussed! But don’t take our word from it – try Anna’s for yourself, either in Davis Square, at one of their other five locations in the Boston area, or in the comfort of your own dorm (Anna’s delivers!).

Simmone Seymour is a current student at Tufts University studying Political Science, Economics, and Communications. She is interested in films, fashion, art, design, marketing, advertising, PR, blogging, new trends and the DIY movement. She is now the Campus Correspondent for the Tufts University Chapter of Her Campus and blogs for the Beauty School Blog. She aspires to get involved in marketing and has worked at Kirkland & Ellis LLP, Hungry Fish Media, Jack Morton Worldwide, Argopoint LLP, the Tufts Daily, the HC headquarters as a Marketing & Sales Associate, and at Leo Burnett Worldwide.In her spare time (which is far and in between) she freelance writes for publications, maintains a blog, learns about graphic design and coding, and explores which ever city she may be in. Her idols are Chelsea handler, Sheryl Sandberg, and Marissa Meyer.Got something fashion or beauty-related you think is amazing? Contact Simmone at SimmoneSeymour@hercampus.com to discuss article inquiries.