This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Thanksgiving is one of the best parts of fall! Check out our 5 favorite things about Thanksgiving!

1. Home cooked meals – As much as we all love Dewick and Carmichael, coming back to home cooked meals is one thing that all Collegiettes look forward to. Nothing is better than delicious turkey, creamy mashed potatoes, and tasty cranberry sauce to start to the meal off right. Not to mention, Thanksgiving allows you to eat more pie in one week than most of us do throughout the year. Make sure to pick a couple nights in addition to Thursday to stay in and chow down with the family. Otherwise, you may find yourself missing that special home cooked taste as soon as you return to campus!

1. Spending time with family – Although we all love the independence that being away at school gives us, there’s nothing like returning to the open arms of our parents, siblings, and relatives for Thanksgiving. Be sure your weekend is filled with family board games, movie nights, and maybe even a shopping trip with mom and grandma. While the curfew you weren’t missing at college may resurface, remember your parents love and care about you – so try your best not to drive your parents too crazy.

1. Reuniting with friends – While High School may seem worlds away, there is no doubt you’ve been missing the people you grew up with. Reuniting with friends from home can be overwhelmingly exciting, especially if you haven’t seen them since the summer. Wednesday night is the perfect time for you and your girls to take the town and maybe even catch up with some old crushes/guy friends. Take caution in seeing your ex…

1. Football – It may not be your favorite sport but watching football can be a great way to bond with friends and family. Not to mention it’s a great excuse to order pizza and snack on chips and guac. Maybe you should jump in on a pick up game with your dad and brother before your big Thanksgiving feast. You’ll get some exercise and probably even have a little fun.

1. Shopping – Now that you have tried the football thing, it’s time to spruce up your winter wardrobe. Be sure to hit up Black Friday sales with mom or a group of girl friends. You’re sure to find some great deals and finally make the switch from your worn-in fall jacket to the down jacket you’ll need for the Boston winter. Don’t be afraid to face the crowds on Friday morning, just be sure to have your aggressive side waiting on call.