The Pub: A Local Favorite

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Image source: Hiddenboston.com​

Nestled on Broadway in Somerville, the Pub looks like any ordinary dive bar from the outside. Most nights, you can walk in to find an almost empty bar scattered with locals (“townies”). However, every Tuesday night, the Pub comes to life. Known as Tufts Tuesday, a swarm of stressed-out Tufts students flock to the Pub to let loose and grab a drink with friends.

While most people don’t go there to eat, their menu is filled with your typical bar food such as wings, fries and salad. On Mondays, the wings are forty cents apiece and you can choose from barbeque, buffalo, teriyaki and honey hot sauces. To my surprise, the Caesar salad is impeccable and pairs perfectly with a plate of crispy sweet potato fries. Just beware, the kitchen closes at eleven so if you’re coming to Tufts Tuesday and also want to eat, make sure to get your orders in early.

The bar serves standard drinks at affordable prices, with wine by the glass and Natty Light by the pitcher for only $7. Most Tuesdays the owner will offer $2 tequila shots, and if you’re lucky, the bartenders will sometimes give out free pitchers.

It seems that most people don’t go to the Pub for the food or even the drinks. The Pub creates a vibrant local energy where students can dance, drink, talk to their friends and just hang out. The owner hires a DJ every Tuesday who plays music until the doors close at 1 a.m.

There is more to the Pub than just Tufts Tuesdays, though. Every Wednesday at 8 p.m., they host trivia night and the winner gets a drink on the house. Thursday and Friday nights are more low-key, and they’re always playing various sports on the multitude of televisions throughout the bar.

No matter what night you choose to go, you will always find the manager hanging around the bar, making sure everyone is enjoying themselves. He sells custom Pub sweatshirts ($40) and t-shirts ($20) and is always looking to host events at The Pub to help students with their different fundraisers and events on campus.

The Pub is a local favorite to gather your friends for a good time. “I live for Pub Tuesday,” said a student from Tufts who frequents the bar. “It’s my favorite part of the week because it brings everyone together and is just a really fun time to break up the week.”

It's Brookie B!