Profile: MaryClaire Kiernan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Name: MaryClaire Kiernan

Year: Senior

Hometown: Hinsdale, IL

Major: Child Study and Human Development

Nickname: MCK

Involvement @ Tufts: Tufts Sailing Team, Alpha Phi, Pre-Dental Society

Sailing Position: Skipper

Tell us a bit about nationals!

The 2017 College Sailing Nationals Championships will be held in beautiful Charleston, South Carolina from May 22nd to June 2nd. The event will consist of the three different Championships: Women’s, Team Racing and Coed. Tufts will be competing in all three events this year. I will be racing in the Women’s Champs.

How did you qualify for nationals?

We qualified through our conference championship, the Reed Trophy, held in late April at Brown. The top 10 teams from our conference moved on to sail in Charleston.

What is the hardest thing about sailing?

Waiting for the wind to fill in.

What are you most excited about in regards to nationals?

I’ve never been to Charleston before so I’m excited to sail at a new venue and check out all that the city has to offer. I couldn’t think of a better way to close out my college sailing career.

Favorite part of sailing with the Tufts team?

I love that I get to escape the stresses of school and go sailing during the week. Nothing beats time on the water with your best friends!

Favorite sailing memory at Tufts?

My favorite Tufts Sailing memory was when we got the van stuck in the mud, spent an hour and a half trying to push it out, and then asked some random dudes to help tow us out.

Sailing superstition.

80% of sailing well is looking good. I always make to wear plenty of Patagonia and my blue visor. On especially gnarly days, I bring out my pink drysuit. (see below)

Most embarrassing moment at Tufts?

Crying to a TUPD officer as I watched my car burn in the Zeta parking lot @ Homecoming 2014

If you could name a boat, what would you call it.

“Bad Bouy”

Dogs or cats?

ONLY corgis

Plans for next year?

Moving to Ann Arbor to attend University of Michigan School of Dentistry. Go Blue! In four years I hope to be everyone’s favorite dentist.

Thing you will miss most about Tufts?

My amazing friends, pham, team, and, of course, The Pub :)

Courtney is a junior at Tufts University where she is majoring in International Relations with a double minor in Communications & Media studies and Economics. She has previously worked for Santander Bank US as a Digital Marketing Analytics Intern as well as Jumpstart Knowledge Adventure where she focused on Social Media Content Creation.