jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Practicing Self-Love on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Valentine’s Day season has officially begun; the big retailers are already pushing millions of heart-shaped boxes of cheap chocolate and overstuffed ‘I Love You’ teddy bears. You can also feel the love on the Tufts campus as clubs offer chocolate bars and crush cans to send to your loved ones before the big day.

This year marks a change in how I plan to celebrate Valentine’s Day. For the first time in several years, I will be single on the day dedicated to couples. While most people consider ‘V-Day’ the time to spend with your significant other or profess your feelings to your new crush, I choose to honor Valentine’s Day differently. I choose to spend my commercialized and cheesy rose-filled holiday loving the most important person in my life… me.

So how do I plan to love myself on the day devoted to loving others? I am going to do all the things people normally do on Valentine’s Day, but for me. While my friends are out with their partners or crushes, I will buy a box of overpriced chocolates, treat myself to some delicious Chinese take-out, put on a face mask and watch a sappy romantic comedy. I will take time to care for myself, and to practice self-love.

Loving others first depends on learning to love yourself. I think everyone should take time to love themselves this Valentine’s Day and every other day of the year.