New Sororities To Come To Tufts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

For the Jumbos who have yet to hear- Greek life will be expanding at Tufts come next year. The reason for the extension? Sororities are apparently in high demand at Tufts! In addition, many Tufts women don’t feel that they have found a fit within the existing three. After a lengthy deliberation process two new sororities will be added to the existing three, bringing the number of sororities to a grand total of FIVE (Did someone say state school?). Her Campus Tufts sat down with the Pan-Hellenic Extension Chairwoman (and co-President of Her Campus) Alex Horvitz to get the inside scoop on what will go down next fall. 

So, how many Greek chapters does Tufts currently have?

Tufts currently has 9 fraternities, 1 co-ed local fraternity, and 3 sororities. 

What is the extension committee and what members of the Tufts community were on the committee?

The extension committee is the committee that worked for the past year on selecting the new organizations for this campus. It was made up of 2 sisters from each existing sorority, 1 advisor from each sorority, the Chairwoman of Extension and Director of Programming for Panhellenic Council, Alex Horvitz, the Panhellenic President, Carolyn Pruitt, and the Director of Fraternity and Sorority Life, Su McGlone. 

What was the process like to pick the new sororities? 

The extension committee worked very hard to find the organization that was best fit for our community via meeting with reps from nationals, reading various materials, and watching the presentations that occurred on campus. We also deeply discussed all of the comments individuals made on anonymous comment cards at the presentations.

Why did the extension committee select Kappa Alpha Theta to colonize this fall?

Kappa Alpha Theta was selected because their values line up perfectly with Tufts’ and we know that non-affiliated Tufts women will want to be a part of this organization. Additionally, their philanthropy (CASA) and other programs are unique and will bring new opportunities to this campus. 

What does it mean that Alpha Gamma Delta is in the stacked position?

This means that when our campus is ready for a 5th sorority to come on, that sorority will be Alpha Gamma Delta. When this will happen is up to the Panhellenic council, which will assess the Panhellenic community and decide when AGD should colonize. 

How will the new sororities get members?

Representatives from Theta’s nationals will be marketing and advertising next fall. They will reach out to women who are not in sororities now and recruit a charter class by the end of next semester. 

If I am a non-affiliated woman at Tufts and I want to be a part of one of the new sororities what should I do?

Feel free to email the Panhellenic Extension Chairwoman, Alex Horvitz, at Alexandra.Horvitz@tufts.edu

Simmone Seymour is a current student at Tufts University studying Political Science, Economics, and Communications. She is interested in films, fashion, art, design, marketing, advertising, PR, blogging, new trends and the DIY movement. She is now the Campus Correspondent for the Tufts University Chapter of Her Campus and blogs for the Beauty School Blog. She aspires to get involved in marketing and has worked at Kirkland & Ellis LLP, Hungry Fish Media, Jack Morton Worldwide, Argopoint LLP, the Tufts Daily, the HC headquarters as a Marketing & Sales Associate, and at Leo Burnett Worldwide.In her spare time (which is far and in between) she freelance writes for publications, maintains a blog, learns about graphic design and coding, and explores which ever city she may be in. Her idols are Chelsea handler, Sheryl Sandberg, and Marissa Meyer.Got something fashion or beauty-related you think is amazing? Contact Simmone at SimmoneSeymour@hercampus.com to discuss article inquiries.