Love Guru on Faking It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Hey Collegiettes, Love Guru here! This past week I ventured out into more risqué waters and asked your fellow Jumbos a question à la When Harry Met Sally. If you haven’t watched this classic film, you should do it right now. No worries though, I’ll fill you in. In a famous and notorious scene, Sally fakes the most epic orgasm that a woman has ever had (while sitting at a diner surrounded by people) after Harry tells her that he does not believe she can realistically fake it. The scene is incredibly funny, heartwarming, and brings to light a topic that most people try to keep under the covers. This week I went around Tufts asking your peers what they think about “faking it.” Here’s what they had to say:

Let’s start with the freshmen…

Freshman girl: It’s like cheating on a test. Why are you going to “help” your partner out like that if it will eventually only hurt both of you?

I never really thought about comparing sex to a test, but you’re right. It would be like cheating in that sense.

Freshman guy: I don’t think it’s good. You need good feedback in order to become a better lover.

I like where you’re coming from. I’m a fan of any man who wants to become a better lover.

And now the sophomores…

Sophomore girl: I think that you shouldn’t have to. If he can’t perform, just let him go.

That’s pretty harsh to say and maybe a little unrealistic. Some people do actually get better with practice. Try and stick around for your lover, and you’ll find out.

Sophomore guy: Faking what? A cold? Oh, you mean that! Yeah, I’m not a fan of it. It’s not being honest and I like it when a girl is real with me.

Can you even tell if she’s faking it? Harry didn’t know women “faked it” at all until Sally proved her point.

How about the juniors?

Junior girl: Sometimes, you just know it isn’t happening, but you don’t want to hurt his feelings. It happens.

Honey, I completely get where you’re coming from. You never want to hurt your man’s ego, and sometimes it’s just not his fault. You just can’t bring yourself to hurt him, so you put on a show.

Junior guy: They feel way too good to go out of your way to fake them.

I have to say that men have it a little easier in that sense. Orgasms don’t come as easily for women, and sometimes we just have to take the easy way out.

And finally, the seniors…

Senior girl: It’s not something you should make a habit of, but sometimes you just have to. You girls out there know what I mean.

Girl, you’re preaching to the choir. We know exactly what you mean!

Senior guy: People fake it? No one I’ve ever been with has had to. Trust me!

To be honest, I think you need a little dose of reality. It’s normal for your partner to fake it once or twice. Maybe you’re just not aware of it.  I know Harry wasn’t.

There you have it Collegiettes. “Faking it” is a phenomenon that we rarely talk about yet always keep in the back of our minds. Chances are that you, your lover, or maybe a past partner has had to “fake it” once or twice, and now you know what the people around you think about it. In my opinion, “faking it” can be a necessity at times, but it should never become a regular practice.  Although orgasms can be hard to attain, they’re surely worth the while. Help your partner out, and teach him or her what you like. Just promise me that you won’t be the old lady at the diner saying, “I’ll have what she’s having.” *

XOXO,

Your Tufts Love Guru

*Watch the scene from When Harry Met Sally if you don’t know what I mean.

photos courtesy of: londoncitygirlmagazine.com and dogandabeer.com

Tufts Love Guru Here. I give advice on all those love dilemmas that collegiette's have!