Late Night Healthy Eating 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Written by Alexa Meltzer

So it’s 3am and you’ve had a little too much to drink, hindering any form of good decision-making. You’re starving, which makes it even harder to choose a healthy option to eat. Realizing that it is a myth that carbs or grease-filled meals will help with tomorrow’s hangover, you decide not to indulge in foods that might make the next morning that much worse, and instead opt for a healthier option. If that’s the case, here are some suggestions!

What You’re Craving: A Cheeseburger

What You Should Really Eat: A Peanut-Butter Sandwich on Whole Wheat Bread.

“Something with a lot of fat can take forever to digest and make you nauseated in the morning,” says Sarah Krieger, a registered dietitian and spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Peanut butter can be fattening in large quantities but it also contains protein, making it a better alternative. You might even want to spice it up by adding in some banana slices!

BAD

GOOD

What You’re Craving: French Fries

What You Should Really Eat: A Loaded Baked Potato

French Fries are full of grease and not something you want in your stomach at this hour of the night. Instead, you can get a good jacket potato at Grotto. Just pop one in the microwave, add some veggie toppings and you’re all set! A possible vegatable to add are mushrooms as they are easy to digest and are stocked with potassium.

BAD

GOOD

What You’re Craving: Pop Tart

What You Should Really Eat: Cereal

Cereal is one of the best choices for a late-night snack. Sara Krieger says that a light bowl of cereal is harmless when it comes to drunk eating. In addition, she mentions that “Carbohydrate-based foods are ideal because they also produce serotonin,” which is important because “alcohol disrupts sleep.” So go for the cereal! Special K and Cheerios are good choices as they are some of the least sugary options and won’t leave you feeling guilty in the morning.

BAD

GOOD

What You’re Craving: Cookies

What you should really eat: A Bowl of Fruit

Although fruits are a healthier option than cookies, they also contain high level-sof sugar, which could possibly keep you awake (and maybe even increase the chances of unfortunate drunk texting!) However, certain fruits have nutritional qualities that more than make up for it. For example, cherries can help relieve pain, and oranges are hydrating, which is key to cure your post-drinking dehydration and will help with your potential hangover. Another plus is that oranges hardly contain any calories and high levels of vitamin C and vitamin A! Either one of those options can satisfy your sweet tooth without the side effect of excessive calories.

BAD

GOOD

What You’re Craving: Pizza

What you should really eat: Veggies and Hummus

A hummus dip made of tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and garlic is high in vitamin C, iron, folate, and vitamin B6 content. When consumed in moderation, it is an excellent way to satisfy your craving for oily foods without going overboard on the grams of fat. So pick out some veggies like carrots and celery and dip them into your favorite Middle Eastern craving!

BAD

GOOD

What you MUST do: Drink lots of water!

When in doubt, keep yourself hydrated by drinking lots and lots of water! It will do some major damage control and you’ll feel much better in the morning!

GOOD