This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Jay Dodd

Class: 2014

Hometown: Los Angeles, CA

Major: Sociology

Claim to fame: Some inhuman dance moves and vocal cords!

What activities do you participate in around campus?
Spirit of Color (SOC) and S-Factor (a capella group specializing in music from the African Diaspora).

Can you describe your involvement in your activities?
I was raised with music around me all the time. I have been singing in the shower since I was little. Freshman year was the first time I sang in front of people. In high school I was so afraid to sing out… It is really a lot of fun. We are always having fun [in S-factor].

SOC – I love [too]. I have been dancing since I was seven I was taking ballet, modern, jazz, and tap. I hate tap! I stopped in high school, but when I came to Tufts, dancing and choreography called to me! I have been choreographing every semester I have been here. Last year I was one of two freshmen that choreographed.

What has been your most rewarding experience at Tufts?
I feel like I don’t do anything…. I only do things that I am good at for “funsies”. It just happens to be performance.

(This is where I actually died of shock, but I let Jay continue)

Well, this year a freshman in SOC and I went to the Medford Boys and Girls Club and taught them to dance. I remember when people came to the YMCA to teach me to dance it made me feel special. This is a way I gave back.

What is your favorite thing about Tufts?
(After contemplation) I love the people. I love that people here do whatever the hell they want. Someone will like research Biology and then dance in SOC or edit the Political Science paper then throw the best frat party. 

Simmone Seymour is a current student at Tufts University studying Political Science, Economics, and Communications. She is interested in films, fashion, art, design, marketing, advertising, PR, blogging, new trends and the DIY movement. She is now the Campus Correspondent for the Tufts University Chapter of Her Campus and blogs for the Beauty School Blog. She aspires to get involved in marketing and has worked at Kirkland & Ellis LLP, Hungry Fish Media, Jack Morton Worldwide, Argopoint LLP, the Tufts Daily, the HC headquarters as a Marketing & Sales Associate, and at Leo Burnett Worldwide.In her spare time (which is far and in between) she freelance writes for publications, maintains a blog, learns about graphic design and coding, and explores which ever city she may be in. Her idols are Chelsea handler, Sheryl Sandberg, and Marissa Meyer.Got something fashion or beauty-related you think is amazing? Contact Simmone at SimmoneSeymour@hercampus.com to discuss article inquiries.
Danielle Carbonneau is a senior at Tufts University double majoring in English and Spanish with a minor in Communications and Media Studies. She is very interested in advertising and has been the editor-in-chief of a creative writing publication on campus. Danielle loves chocolate chip pancakes, horror stories, and her family. She has a crush on HerCampus and all the amazing contributing writers.