The Industrial Piercing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

If you are interested in getting an industrial piercing, this article is definitely for you!

For me, getting an industrial was very much a spontaneous decision. I initially never thought about getting anything other than my ears pieced. But, about a week into the fall semester I met a fellow freshman who was thinking about getting an industrial. Two weeks after that, I went with her to Boston Tattoo Company and decided to get one! #YOLO.

Firstly, for those who don’t know what an industrial piercing is, it’s this:

[my own photo]

It’s a 1.6mm thick, 14g heavy barbell that goes through one side of your ear and out the other. Yep, sounds terrifying.

In hindsight, I’m surprised I didn’t chicken out. I was probably so excited about all the cool bars I could buy that I forgot to freak out. Up until I was actually on the way to get it done, it never really sunk in that I was going to have a metal rod shoved through my ear cartilage.

I arrived at Boston Tattoo Company in Davis Square and casually asked for an industrial piercing. Ten minutes later, I was lying down with a really inked up dude grasping my ear in one hand, while holding a sharp piece of metal in the other. At that point, I definitely questioned my own sanity.

Here are some of the things I can tell you:

• The pain when it first goes through is intense, but is over very quickly.
  • Your ear will be sore for the next two days. Within a week, you’ll forget it’s there! Nonetheless, it is still sensitive, so any accidental prodding will bring a sharp sting, and sleeping on that side of my body has been painful.
  • In terms of healing time, an industrial can take from just 3-4 weeks to 6 whole months to heal.
  • The cleaning regimen is a big deal. Infections are just the worst because they’re terrible to deal with. You would be forced to take the bar out and lose your holes, so cleaning the piercings properly is crucial. I was given a saline solution to spray on the piercings every day, but the best way to clean a piercing is by soaking it in a solution of pure boiled water and sea salt.
  • Be sure to pay attention to what material your bar is made of. Avoid anything that has nickel in it! Titanium, bioplast, and surgical steel are all considered safe materials.

If you’re considering an industrial hopefully this was informative for you! And if you weren’t, I hope you are now!

Photo Source: http://www.piercingeasily.com/industrial-piercing/