This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.
Winter is a lot of fun. Snowball fights, sledding, and snow days (five so far this semester!) make braving the brisk winds worth it. Although we East coasters are no strangers to the biting cold, it still is annoying when your skin starts getting rough, flaky, and even stings due to dryness. Worry not collegiettes! There are ways to prevent crusty skin besides slathering yourself in Aveeno.

Avoid Hot Baths

We know a super hot shower is THE best thing after an intense session of frolicking in the snow, but the intense heat actually breaks down the lipid barriers in the skin and leads to loss of moisture. If your skin is really dry, you may want to consider shorter and more lukewarm showers.

Take Off Wet Clothing and Stay Dry

Wearing wet socks and gloves speed up the rate at which your skin dries up while you’re outside, so be sure to wear dry clothing. To prevent dry and damaged hair, use a hairdryer!

Switch Your Facial Products

If your face gets dry, you could switch up the peels, toners, or cleansers that you use on a daily basis. A lot of alcohol-based products strip vital oils from your skin. Coupled with the cold weather, this can result in dehydrated skin. Instead, keep an eye out for milky cleansers and products that are “hydrating.”

Use Coconut Oil

For immediate relief, pure coconut oil is your go-to remedy. It’s an extremely strong moisturizer and also an antioxidant that helps exfoliate dead skin cells. You can simply rub some onto your skin, whipping it in an electric mixer to make a fluffy cream or even eat it!

Eat Fats!

Omega-3 fatty acids are super good for your skin. Aside from keeping them strong and full of moisture, omega-3 also has an anti-inflammatory effect that gives skin a smoother complexion. Some easily accessible sources are salmon, krill oil, and tablets from CVS.

So there you go ladies. May we all stay warm and soft-skinned through the remainder of this intense winter!

Picture sources: