How To Find Your Dream Career

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

I just started a new job as a Marketing Assistant at ArgoPoint LLC which has left me with a thought that is probably plaguing Collegiettes….Which Career is a good fit for me?!? This is a big question. Check out the expert advice below on how to get your career search kicked off. 

1) If you are unsure of even where to begin, think about experiences that you had in the past and enjoyed, activities that you have participated in, and classes you have done well in. Hopefully there is a correlation!

2) Take one of the many free career aptitude tests available online. Your results need not determine your career, but they could point you in the right direction.

iPersonic’s Career Test

Careerpath.com Career Quiz

The True Colors Career Test

3) Research different industries and career paths. This is a good start to see if you think that you would fit into a particular job. Go to your career services website or office to check out the resources there. In addition there are number of excellent online resources. Sites such as Vault or O*Net, which offer great tools for career exploration.

4) Conduct Informational Interviews. The best way to do this is to reach out to people you know. Your network is probably a lot broader than you think. If no one comes to mind immediately you can mention to your friends or family members that you would like to speak to someone in a particular industry. Another great resource is your school’s alumni network. Reach out to alum in fields that you are interested in to see if they will answer a couple of questions via e-mail, over the phone, or if they’d be available to meet to talk.

5) Inquire about shadowing opportunities. Spending a day on the job is the best way to get a feel for if you would like to work somewhere (outside of actually working there). Look into companies that offer shadowing programs or reach out to people you know in the field. Don’t know anyone? This is another good way to utilize your alumni network.

6) Get an internship! Students are so caught up on the intern search that they have forgotten the real point of internships – to learn if the job is a good fit for you. If you are unsure about a career path it is totally fine to take an internship along that path even if you do not end up pursuing that path professionally, in fact you should. Internships are a great way to learn about what you want in your professional life (and what you don’t).

7) Talk to a career counselor. They are used to talking to students who are unsure of where they are headed after graduation. They also are certified experts on finding and obtaining a job that works for you. If you are unsure of what you want to do they can provide with ample resources and point you in the right direction. If you are a little more progressed on your professional path they can also serve as a great resource for resume writing, cover letters, and interviewing tips.

Images Courtesy of: csimcivcourse.files.wordpress.com and www.theaccidentalitleader.com.

Simmone Seymour is a current student at Tufts University studying Political Science, Economics, and Communications. She is interested in films, fashion, art, design, marketing, advertising, PR, blogging, new trends and the DIY movement. She is now the Campus Correspondent for the Tufts University Chapter of Her Campus and blogs for the Beauty School Blog. She aspires to get involved in marketing and has worked at Kirkland & Ellis LLP, Hungry Fish Media, Jack Morton Worldwide, Argopoint LLP, the Tufts Daily, the HC headquarters as a Marketing & Sales Associate, and at Leo Burnett Worldwide.In her spare time (which is far and in between) she freelance writes for publications, maintains a blog, learns about graphic design and coding, and explores which ever city she may be in. Her idols are Chelsea handler, Sheryl Sandberg, and Marissa Meyer.Got something fashion or beauty-related you think is amazing? Contact Simmone at SimmoneSeymour@hercampus.com to discuss article inquiries.