Everything you Need to Know about the Kevin Spacey Allegations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

CW: Sexual Assault

The past few weeks in Hollywood have been disturbing, shocking, and deeply upsetting.  Many high-profile celebrities including Louis C.K. and Harvey Weinstein have been accused of sexual assault, with dozens of victims coming forwards and detailing their assaults, some of which occurred decades ago. Kevin Spacey, an Oscar winning actor who currently stars in Netflix’s original series House of Cards, has been at the center of these allegations.

The first public allegation against Spacey was made by Anthony Rapp on October 29th. Rapp claimed that in 1986, when he was only 14, Spacey invited Rapp to his apartment where Spacey drunkenly attempted to engage in sexual acts with the minor. Rapp said “he was trying to seduce me. I don’t know if I would have used that language. But I was aware he was trying to get with me sexually” (France). Thankfully, Rapp was able to escape the situation before things escalated. Rapp publicly shared this trauma after dozens of high-profile women, including Gwyneth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie, accused producer Harvey Weinstein of assault.

Spacey’s response to the allegations were far from satisfactory. In a statement on his twitter account, Spacey said that he was “beyond horrified” to hear of the allegation and had no memory of it, yet he did not deny what he claims might have been “deeply inappropriate drunken behavior”. In the latter half of his Twitter statement, Spacey revealed that he is gay. Although many have speculated about his sexuality, this was his first public confirmation. However, Spacey’s coming out is far from praise-worthy. To use his sexuality as an excuse for assaulting a minor is highly offensive to all homosexuals, and does not minimize Spacey’s shameful actions.

Following Rapp’s accusations, numerous other allegations against Spacey have been made, several coming from men who claim to have been assaulted as minors.  These accusations span from 1983 to the present and assert that Spacey inappropriately and non-consensually groped, kissed, and flashed many men and boys.

While no legal action has been taken yet, police in both the US and Britain are investigating these sexual assault claims and Spacey has faced professional and personal scrutiny. Netflix has suspended production of House of Cards indefinitely and stated that the company “will not be involved with any further production of House of Cards that includes Kevin Spacey” (Gonzales). Several films Spacey was set to star in, including Netflix’s Gore and Ridley Scott’s All the Money in the World have either been completely scrapped or have removed Spacey from the film.

Spacey has remained quiet while allegations continue to arise, but his representatives report that he is “taking the time necessary to seek evaluation and treatment” (Romano). Spacey’s behavior is inexcusable and warrants both societal and legal punishment. A disturbing trend has been revealed in Hollywood: the industry’s most powerful men feel entitled to violate others, and unfortunately, have been able to keep their victims silent for many years. If one lesson can be learned from the past week, it is that survivors of sexual assault are never alone or at fault for the actions of their assailants, and speaking up can be a powerful catalyst for change.   

Works Consulted:

France, Lisa Respers. “Kevin Spacey criticized for how he came out.” CNN. 30 October 2017,

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/30/entertainment/kevin-spacey-gay/index.html

Gonzales, Sandra. “Netflix cuts ties with Kevin Spacey.” CNN. 4 November 2017,

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/03/media/kevin-spacey-netflix-house-of-cards/index.html

Romano, Aja. “The sexual assault allegations against Kevin Spacey span decades. Here’s what

we know.” Vox. 3 Nov. 2017, https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/11/3/16602628/kevin-spacey-sexual-assault-allegations-house-of-cards

Junior at Tufts University 
Courtney is a junior at Tufts University where she is majoring in International Relations with a double minor in Communications & Media studies and Economics. She has previously worked for Santander Bank US as a Digital Marketing Analytics Intern as well as Jumpstart Knowledge Adventure where she focused on Social Media Content Creation.