Dorm Must Haves Made Easy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Trust me, I have seen my fair share of dorms-gone-wrong. Admittedly, my very own dorm freshman year was definitely no safe haven, and certainly not as inviting as it should have been. With such limited space, perfecting your home-away-from-home can often pose many challenges. Luckily for you, I have learned my lesson and, with confidence, came up with a list of dorm room necessities to help you out.

The essentials:

1. A rug: Most dorms have tile floors, and a rug easily transforms the space, creating a homey, comfortable environment.

2. Storage: In general, dorms are pretty tiny. For those with a lot of stuff (and let’s face it, that’s most of us) good storage is key. There are many cute, inexpensive storage ideas to keep your space from looking like it was recently struck by a tornado. (Like the box above, for example)

3. A Bedspread: Your bedding is one of the easiest ways to express your style. Beds are usually the focus of dorm rooms, so picking cute bedding is essential! However, make sure that your bedding is also as comfortable as it is cute (also remember that a comfortable mattress pad is just as important).

4. Utilities and Appliances: As long as you adhere to the Tufts guidelines, appliances can be truly

useful. Talk to your roommate about this! Trust me, a mini-fridge is a must when craving a midnight snack.

5. Wall Décor: Since you will be living in this room for the majority of the year, it’s important that you love it. Because most dorm rooms have completely blank, white walls, fun wall décor is probably the easiest way to ensure this. Remember to get creative here—think beyond cliché posters!

Where to shop? Ikea, Target, West Elm, Urban Outfitters, Anthropologie, CB2, and Pier 1 Imports all have great options! Also, don’t be afraid to get a little more creative—check out local street vendors and thrift shops for unique pieces.

Sources:
Urbanoutfitters.com
Ikea.com

Christie is a rising sophomore at Tufts. She absolutely adores coffee in any form,  believes that any dessert can be made better with nutella and any meal better with hot sauce.  In her spare time, she dabbles in graphic design, playing guitar, and photography. She also adores makeup and beauty and believes it's more of an art form than people give it credit for. Music is definitely a huge part of her life: she always has her iPod on and frequently goes to concerts.